What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bonderite wipes anyone?

Loman

Well Known Member
I recently came across these:

https://www.vinnybyrne.com/media/mconnect_uploadfiles/b/o/bonderite_1455-w_tds.pdf

On the face of it, the advantages are attractive; same corrosion protection, same adhesion promotion claims as Bonderite M-CR 1201 (aka “Alodine”), terrific ease of use and no chromium, meaning they are safe for me and the environment.

There are disadvantages, mainly that overcoating within 15 minutes is called for. It’s not clear if that means only paint. I wonder whether the air channels in vinyl adhesive would cause a problem

However I am sceptical. If it was possible to have the same corrosion protection and adhesion promotion as Bonderite M-CR 1201 without all of the grave dangers of that material then why is that stuff still on the market.

I am hoping that someone more expert than me can compare and contrast the two products in a way that makes sense to homebuilders.

For context, I intend to wrap directly over the treated metal, as Wirejock has done. I have 3 quarts of Bonderite M-CR 1201 ordered and en route and I have worked out how I will use it. However I would like to know what the ‘brains trust’ think of this wipes option.

Last edited:
Sounds almost too good to be true. I've used Alodine extensively but plan to never do it again.

Jerre

Since 2012?

That document is dated 2012. Must be some reason it isn?t being used more so. I?ve not heard of it...

Sounds almost too good to be true. I've used Alodine extensively but plan to never do it again.

Jerre

I don't know about that. Not sure I could wipe down a whole fuselage and get the primer on it in 15 minutes. That is a really tight window and a severe limitation in my opinion.

Larry

It is targeted at spot treatment

The product video shows a repair to the rear quarter pillar of a car. So these wipes seem to be designed for spot treatment, in which case 15 minutes would be entirely reasonable. However I also saw reference to one wipe being enough for the entire side of a van.

In the case of wrapping, it might be reasonable to get all except the largest sheets in place within 15 minutes if the operation was properly planned.

I think I better reach out to Henkel?s technical people for comment. I will report anything useful I find out.

Back