What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show Us Your Nose/Tail Art!

Tom Sampson's Tail Art

Enjoy.

tom1uo0.jpg

tom2ys3.jpg

New nose art

pirate1rk0.jpg

pirate2dd1.jpg

I'll probably spend a lot of time at fly-ins this summer explaining what an "A-A-R-R-R-R-V-6" is :)

The decal was made by www.vinylgraphicsbygreg.com (highly recommended) based on drawing my dad drew for me. I also got some nice elliptical 3-D looking gun port decals - those will go on the cowl, three per side in honor of the F-86 the original builder of PapaGolf flew back in the 50's.

Last edited:
a pile of nose/tail art

I've just launched the new ArtisticAviation website with a special section full of nose and tail art...some of the best are on RVs, but there are others from a Giles aerobatic plane to a Global Express bizjet...check them out! They are all done in paint, some look old fashioned on purpose, some are slick as glass and will fool you eyes. I will get the upload part of this going next! :) www.artisticaviation.com

Not installed (obviously, since I haven't started construction), but this is going on 35F's v-stab:

000rcxf9.gif

Quoted @ $126 for both sides.

Being yellow I was think about Tweety Bird. Unfortunately we already have a Tweety Bird Lancair in Ohio River RVators group. Since we have two cats at home. We decided to put two on the tail (each side):
tail.jpg

My wife is embarrassed

I put my wife on the nose of my 6A. I wanted something evocative of WWII so, since my wife and I are long past the Betty Grable age, I embellished on Richard Bong's idea of putting his wife on his P-38.

I personally did the photographs of her (in the Puerto Rico rainforest) and the sky background. At work (I am in the sign/display/menuboard business) I enlisted one of our graphics designers to help me combine these two photos with WWII elements. I then had it printed on 3M white vinyl at our shop and applied it to both sides of the plane's nose.

The morning we applied it to the plane several members of my local EAA chapter (#91) were present. None of them had yet met my wife but it happened that just a few days later my wife and I were flying out to visit our daughter at her college. While in our terminal one of the members happened to cross my wife's path with his wife and started teasing her about meeting her in the rainforest, and didn't she remember? It took her back for a moment while she tried to sort it out mentally. Then she said: "You must have seen the nose art!"

BTW: My wife's name is Johnnie Jean.

keithnoseartsamplecopy4om2.jpg

dscn4739ph4.jpg

I also had a small plaque made of it which I put on my panel.
dscn4719ma3.jpg

Last edited:
Mr. Dick Jordan's "sticky stuff" because it sticks to money" and yes, before you ask, it is a "sweet' airplane

IMG_0172.jpg

I plan to use a pinup style tattoo I have as inspiration for my nose art. Paint is SOOOOOO far away at this point though....

But it sure is fun to dream about it! :D

Just Air Brushed "Tail Art" on my RV7A WWII P51s - Double Trouble Two & Detroit Miss

rv7atailartgm0.jpg

rv7atailartp51uu0.jpg

rv7atailartdoubletroublkw9.jpg
Randy Nagle airbrushed these 2 war birds on my tail. I always wanted to say "I have a couple P51s on my tail!" Anyway Randy is a really cool guy. I sat in the hanger over 2 days for 15 hrs while he air brushed the planes on my plane and told me detailed WWII stories about their past and other WWII P51 Aces. It was VERY interesting and alot of FUN. THANKS Randy! FYI: www.Randynagle.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Keith Wards RV-7 N818PA

This paint job is AWESOME.
Keith needs to send some close ups of all the detail on
this one.
My favorite at OSH this year.
Nice talking with you too Keith.

Better

Check with the missus on that one (assuming your not single)...Mine would go up the wall!..:)

Frank

This is a picture my wife took of my tail at OSH 2007. The WI sky and clouds add to the effect on the tail

1002187t.jpg

Last edited:
GROOVEY

George,

I am still with you. 707 WOULD be good but
I can see where you are going.

I think we need a close up. <G>

Make sure she <G> looks like your spouse if
you are married or thinkin about it.

More pics?????

Attached please find two shots of the nose art on our RV8 as per Mike Kelly?s phone call of this afternoon. The lady is my lovely wife Crystal and the smile on my face is just after the first flight of N241HC.
Regards,
Harry Hughes
Hhughes2 at maine.rr.com

p.m sent.......

Last edited:
Doc's Delight

N788RV, KTOP, Doc's Delight, Eric "Doc" Kerns
Nose Art painted by RT Foster http://www.rtfosterart.com/

Concept
Profession: Military Pilot for the Kansas Coyotes
Call Sign: Doc
The Girls: My Two Daughters

noseart.jpg

DCOO0002.jpg

Last edited:
sloe28.jpg

Here is the nose art for my RV 8A just about ready for engine start and taxi testing. More pictures later.

Allan Stern RV 8A
RV 6A

Lemon Squeeze

When I first bought this plane five years ago, she had no end of problems. Since then we've got most of the bugs ironed out. But name stuck.

-Matt
402BD

Squeeze.jpg

I needed a little something to break up the side of the fuselage on my RV-8. The paint was pretty well balanced and nice and clean but the fuselage sides looked blank. We added one of these on each side and things couldn't have looked better.
p3170005.jpg

Here is the paint scheme for the RV8 I plan on starting soon. The planes name is "Naughty Nikki" and it incorporates both my wife and my daughter's favorite colors. The plane will be polished aluminum. I am tossing around whether to paint the horizontal stab all purple to match the vertical stab and rudder.

NaughtyNikki.jpg

The DC and M are significant as they are the first letters in each of our children's names. Dylan, our oldest (14), Connor, the middle child (12), and Her Majesty the Royal Princess Meghan (3 1/2).

And this little darlin will be the nose art. I am still trying to find the perfect pose for her, but it will definitely be tastefully naughty.

NGAT2.jpg

When the "Boss" (translation "The Wife") saw the paint scheme I had drawn up I carefully explained what everything meant, and the significance of each choice of color and letter, she was sold on the idea of building. Score one for me. :D

Back