What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6A brake noise

Steve Atwood

I'm New Here
Any ideas on what could be causing my RV-6A to moan when I depress the right brake? So far new rotors, brake pads, bearings, caliper seals. After all this it seems to have gotten worse.

Two thoughts

Move pads to other side see if issue moves. I am going to say your breakin method of new pads might be issue. Lots here to read here on that. Good luck.

did you try to bed them in with heat? On my new 10, I did some agressive braking to generate some heat during taxi testing to "bed them in." Ended up with a terrible noise when the brakes were applied. Seems the chemistry of the pads is different from the auto world and they don't like this. I sanded the pad surfaces to get a fresh face and all was well.

Might be worth a try.

Larry

noisy brakes

In the automotive world we never install disc brake pads anymore without wiping a coating of CRC Disc Brake Quiet or similar goop on the back of the pads. It is like thin rubber/latex coating. I've had many a squealing chattering noisy brake fixed by this type of coating. Now the brand isn't important but the application is.
Some pad sets even come with a small squeeze tube. black white red blue all colors.
Oh by the way my RV-6A had a chattering right brake no cleaning or tinkering would fix till I went home and got the goop. Done problem solved
Good luck Art

Back