What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IPad in Cockpit?

Pete P

I'm seeking some guidance of having an IPad in the cockpit of a 7A-I havent made the purchase as yet but I guess an Ipad (compared to an IPad Mini) would be easier to read with its larger screen but see some comments on RV discussions about finding them hard to read due to its lack of screen brightness-has anyone had success with either a fixed RAM mounting or suction cup say onto instrument panel or onto inside canopy?? All comments would be appreciated:D

Cheers

Pete P

VH-PVA

The problem is glare. Mounting doesn't really matter....any angle can have glare. The trick is to angle the iPad so that glare is at a minimum/acceptable level. On a bright sunny day, you have to be creative to find the least amount of glare. On cloudy days....the iPad is easily viewed at most angles.

I also think that the major background color of whatever app you want to use contributes greatly as to wether or not the iPad is viewable. I found that light/white background colors are more easily viewed.

size and recomendations

Thought I would throw in my 2 cents. With regard to size, here in Australia CASA (our regulator) is legislating the size that is acceptable, and they are saying nothing smaller than A5. Their view seems to be that it needs to easily readable, at its standard magnification, like a map. So the mini is out.

Cheers

Jim

Mini

I've tried the iPad 1 and iPad Mini in my plane. The Mini wins hands down. The regular iPad is just too big. I found the Mini to be adequately readable in flight for me. I added an anti glare screen to it which helps.

I have a slider and I've mounted the mini to the center bar via Ram Mounts. I use a Ram mount ball on the bar, a standard sized arm, then finally another ball attached to the iPad universal mount. The iPad ends up in front of the panel below the level of the dash. It works for me.

Last edited:
The iPad works best for me loose in the seat beside me or held by my passenger. I just grab it and get it at the best viewing angle, get the info I need and put it back on the seat. Use a spot of velcro on it if you are worried about turbulence.
Erich

I used a fixed Ram ball mount on the panel of the RV-12 and I liked it that way very much. As others have said, glare can be an issue on sunny days, fortunately we don't get many of those here in the Northwet. Also, the way I had it mounted may have interfered with a passenger.

The only thing that caused some trouble is that an iPad screen doesn't work with gloves on.

I use a 3rd gen iPad with retina display on a ram mount. I also use an anti-glare cover which I think is mandatory in my 6. Most of the time I can read it easily enough. It's probably less than half the brightness of a SkyView or Horizon system but I'm pretty happy with it for LA airspace.

I've used my iPad 2. No issue with brightness but it was overcast. I would recommend the mini because it is kneeboard size. The full size iPad is a bit too big.

I use the full sized iPad

If you have room, get the full sized iPad. Yes it could be brighter, yes there is glare, but it is a great source of information in the cockpit.

panel.jpg

I've tried the iPad 1 and iPad Mini in my plane. The Mini wins hands down. The regular iPad is just too big. I found the Mini to be adequately readable in flight for me. I added an anti glare screen to it which helps.

I have a slider and I've mounted the mini to the center bar via Ram Mounts. I use a Ram mount ball on the bar, a standard sized arm, then finally another ball attached to the iPad universal mount. The iPad ends up in front of the panel below the level of the dash. It works for me.

I agree. My iPad mini works great for me most of the time. When glare is an issue I just rotate it slightly. I would love to see a photo of your ram mount though.

glare shield?

Has anyone tried a glare shield on their tablet? They are inexpensive, no touch sensitivity is lost, and the display brightness is only slightly diminished....so they say, mine has just been ordered.

I did my first flight with my Nexus 7 running Gpilot. The glare is a nuisance but I could still read the screen well enough. I had it velcroed to the panel but it will get mounted on a swivel this week. That should help with the glare as well.

I have an iPad 2 and a mini. The bigger unit was easy enough to see even in bright daylight, but I do use it loose in the cockpit, like a sectional. It would take the right angle sometimes to see it, but I don't use it as a permanent display. The mini is a better size for me to grab it, look, then stuff it back in the footwell. I also have an otter box for both and highly recommend them for protection.

I used my mini in bright sunshine Sunday past. As mentioned, glare can be an issue, not so much the brightness. But font size is NOT an issue, just "pinch" the screen and scale to whatever works for you. And it's kneeboard sized. Just sayin.... ;)

I agree. My iPad mini works great for me most of the time. When glare is an issue I just rotate it slightly. I would love to see a photo of your ram mount though.

I'll take a photo and post it soon. As I think about it, I erred in my description. I actually have my GPS mounted to the center bar with RAM mounts. I have the iPad also mounted with RAM mounts but I have a ball base screwed to my panel.

I have the same setup. ram mount on right side of panel.
I wont fly without it mounted on anything outside of my local area.
its always in my flight bag and wouldn't go local without it being accessible either. awesome source of info and I havent used paper charts since I bought it. Its the backup to my 696 as well. if they both go I have a garmin 60CSX for situational awareness.
iPad, rocks over Android in the cockpit as well.
I tried the mini but returned it after a few comparative flights.

If you have room, get the full sized iPad. Yes it could be brighter, yes there is glare, but it is a great source of information in the cockpit.

panel.jpg

IPad in cockpit-Pete P

Thanks to all who responded to my earlier IPad in cockpit request-I ended up going with an IPad 4-I will install OZ Runways on it and also go with the IPad Ram mounts as suggested by Richard Fazio and Pat Hatch-excellent pics on VAF forum from both these RV owners.

Link to Ram Mount as a complete fitting kit is: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RAM-Flat...der_Mounts_Stands_Holders&hash=item256eccf1eb

Disclaimer-i do not have any association with www.mountguys.com

Cheers,

Pete P:D

Last edited:
Back