What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Roll Bar to Support Frames to Canopy Bases

Chopkins

Evening all

I am really struggling with 24-03 (Roll Bar, Support Frames and Canopy Decks). Was just wondering if anybody else has had any problems here? The cause of the issue is probably staring me in the face but I can't see it.

Here's what I have......All went well with the longeron fits. I lined up the back edge of the canopy bases (F1234L&R) with the Roll Bar Attach Plates and then match drilled. So far, so good. This evening, just to make sure that I have match drilled the roll bar assembly to each of the Roll Bar Bases correctly, I mocked up the whole rear of the Bulkhead assesmbly and Turtle Decks. The Turtle Decks fit perfectly to the side skins and longerons and while the holes in the LH Support frames match up with the corresponding Turtle Deck holes, the ones on the on the RH side of the fuselage are 1/16" out. see photo......
019_zpsb03b4234.jpg

If I remove the cleckos holding one end of RH support frame to the roll bar and the other end to the Canopy deck, I can then get the support frame to clecko to the Turtle Decks but it then 'forces' the Canopy deck forward by 1/8" see photo......
021_zps37289b73.jpg
so that there is a gap between the Roll Bar Attach plates and the rear of the Canopy Deck.

At the moment, the only thing that I can thick of is that I didn't have the RH longeron attached to the RH side skin when I match drilled the Canopy base to the top of the longerons. Has anybody got any ideas what has happened here? I guess that the next thing for me to do is take some measurements of the LH and RH longeron top surface holes to see if I have indeed match drilled in the wrong place.

Anthony

Anthony,

I suggest starting by measuring the longerons to see if one is protruding forward more than the other. Then measure all components left and right and compare. Somewhere there is a difference. Once you figure out the source of the discrepancy you can begin to think about the remedy. Van's support guys may be able to help here, but get your measurements before you call them. Let us know your progress.

John

Back