What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where to start after long hiatus?

I've got an RV-7 project that I've been away from for several years and I'm ready to get started on it again, but I've been out for so long I don't know where to get started again. All sheet metal is complete, canopy complete, basic interior complete, fiberglass work complete except for finish prep.

I'm basically at the point where I'm ready to work on the instrument panel and the firewall forward. Basic wiring and a couple of instruments are installed in the panel but nothing else.

This may seem silly, but I'm not sure where to start back again in order to get the momentum going to 'completion'...

sk

Take a month and start at the beginning, double check all your work .. should lead you right to where you left off and jar some memories.

In a way, it's a good thing that you took some time off before doing your instrument panel. Avionics have taken giant leaps forward in the last few years. Now you can install the latest and greatest!

If you checked of the tasks in the build manual as you went, it should be easy to locate where you left off. I always put my initials and date next to each task when completed, along with an optional note for whomever helped.

This happened to me several times during my very slow, multi-decade build...:)

Just pick a section you want to work on next, examine carefully to determine where you stopped, review the plans/instructions and then determine and collect the parts/tools needed to procede.

It shouldn't be too difficult if you check/review first.

I did the same thing after a 10 year hiatus. The first step I did was to invite a local EAA Tech Counselor over to look at what I'd done so far. His generous comment was complimentary and he gave me some recommendations for how to get back into the groove. Just that alone helped me feel that I hadn't lost that much airspeed. The next thing I did was grab my preview plans, and sit down and just study them in the area where I had left off work. It all started coming back to me and if you start with some easy to achieve work, you'll get back up and running in no time.

I also took the time to oil up all my tools and do some practice riveting on scrap.

Welcome back!

All great suggestions so far. Would like to add, go out to your shop and sweep the floor, organize your tools and parts. It helped me clear my head and before long I'd be working on the plane. Once I started working on something, everything made more sense and I came up with a plan. YMMV.

Back