What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon HDX or Garmin G3X around the Atlanta area

BCP Boys

Well Known Member
I'm having a really hard time deciding on which one to pick but I am going to change out my Blue Mountain after the New Year and it will be either the G3X or the HDX. Although my BMA still works great, I would like to get one step closer to IFR and also become 2020 compliant.
I had pretty much made up my mind that I was going to buy Garmin G3X and go the Garmin route but then Dynon came out with this beautiful HDX EFIS and now has the latest EFIS on the market. My fear is that I'm going to pick G3X and they will release a new EFIS in 6 months to keep up with their competitor. I know technology changes quickly and the EFIS we pick quickly becomes "old" when new ones are release but logic tells me to buy the newest technology on the market so that I can stretch my dollar for as long as possible. However, I've always flown behind Garmin every since GPS came out and believe my learning curve to be much less than Dynon.

What I'm hoping for is for someone here, in the Southeast will take me up in their plane and show me their Garmin G3X and someone else will show me their Dynon HDX. Hoping to see a few of the features in particular, like the Autopilot, EIS, moving map, and maybe even see you shoot an approach with the autopilot.

My hope is that experiencing both will help me make the right decision for me.

I live in Northwest Ga and will happily fly to the surrounding states if someone if willing to show me their panel. Just to be clear, I'm specifically looking for the HDX panel and not Skyview or Skyview touch and also the G3X Touch and not the regular G3X.

Thank you all in advance.

I'm having a really hard time deciding on which one to pick but I am going to change out my Blue Mountain after the New Year and it will be either the G3X or the HDX. Although my BMA still works great, I would like to get one step closer to IFR and also become 2020 compliant.
I had pretty much made up my mind that I was going to buy Garmin G3X and go the Garmin route but then Dynon came out with this beautiful HDX EFIS and now has the latest EFIS on the market. My fear is that I'm going to pick G3X and they will release a new EFIS in 6 months to keep up with their competitor. I know technology changes quickly and the EFIS we pick quickly becomes "old" when new ones are release but logic tells me to buy the newest technology on the market so that I can stretch my dollar for as long as possible. However, I've always flown behind Garmin every since GPS came out and believe my learning curve to be much less than Dynon.

What I'm hoping for is for someone here, in the Southeast will take me up in their plane and show me their Garmin G3X and someone else will show me their Dynon HDX. Hoping to see a few of the features in particular, like the Autopilot, EIS, moving map, and maybe even see you shoot an approach with the autopilot.

My hope is that experiencing both will help me make the right decision for me.

I live in Northwest Ga and will happily fly to the surrounding states if someone if willing to show me their panel. Just to be clear, I'm specifically looking for the HDX panel and not Skyview or Skyview touch and also the G3X Touch and not the regular G3X.

Thank you all in advance.

Amir, if people take you up on your request, I'd like to tag along if that's possible.

I think Jesse at Saint Aviation is about to drop an HDX or two into one of the projects he has lined up down there in Dunellon, FL (X35).

I'm sure he'll be along in a minute to give an update on timing, etc....

Actually just got off the phone with Jesse. He has one but is not ready to fly.
Thanks though...

Thanks Brian

I was actually thinking about you but didn't want to put you on the spot. Now that Kyle wants to look as well let me see what his schedule is and I'll let you know when we can fly up there. Can you PM me your number?

HDX

Now I just need someone with a new HDX install. Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
tumblr_lfgsj5EkvA1qgxm4ao1_500.gif

Bump

Last edited:
HA HA, thanks Bret. It is tempting though.. it's getting cold here and I'm thinking Nevada may be a bit warmer. Although every time I go to Nevada I come home broke:rolleyes:;):D

Hopefully I will be getting my 7 back very soon (late Dec time frame) with the new panel, HDX 10" and 7", Avidyne 440, autopilot panel, and knob panel, ADSB in and out. I'm in Jacksonville, FL and would be glad to demo the avionics once I've had a chance to get familiar with it alll.

Sebring

You could always go to Sebring Fl. next month for the light sport fly-in. Garmin and Dynon are listed as vendors that will be there.

I will gladly give ride, but I have the G3X NON-touch.
and boy that was painful, the touch was announced the day before my first flight.
:mad:

Still love it though.

I will gladly give ride, but I have the G3X NON-touch.
and boy that was painful, the touch was announced the day before my first flight.
:mad:

Still love it though.

Must be a nice boogie traveling machine. If you ever head down to Zhills or Lake Wales in it, let me know, I'd love to check it out!

Perhaps it might be worthwhile to download the operating manuals and see if you think it'll be easy or hard.

And the installation manuals too, if you're going to install these yourself.

Dave

Back