- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2016, 07:28 PM

Default Van's Skyview SV14.2.1 Firmware

Has anyone installed Van's recent release? Having read the "Read Me" file I am wondering the value of going through the effort since I have a base Skyview single panel with A/P, and GPS-250. No add-on panels installed. It looks like there are a lot of special inputs necessary to set up txpdr and other features. Going to SV13.X.X required a lot of sub-menu inputs to get right.

Thanks for any insight you can add from your experience.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:17 PM

If you intend to get Dynon's/Van's 2020 GPS/WH-000129 for ADS-B IN and OUT in compliance with the FAA 2020 mandate I think you will need SV14.1. The GPS2020/WH-000129 replaces the GPS 250....for $585.00.
The XPNDR 261 that most have in their RV12s is already 2020 compliant.

EBB
Old 04-29-2016, 08:20 PM

Default SV 14.2.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by n74846 View Post
Has anyone installed Van's recent release? Having read the "Read Me" file I am wondering the value of going through the effort since I have a base Skyview single panel with A/P, and GPS-250. No add-on panels installed. It looks like there are a lot of special inputs necessary to set up txpdr and other features. Going to SV13.X.X required a lot of sub-menu inputs to get right.

Thanks for any insight you can add from your experience.
I installed 14.2.1. Prior to this install I was getting many "ghost" traffic alerts which I believe were reflecting me on the screen. Since the new install I've not had these "ghosts" alerts. Granted it's only been a couple of hours on the Hobbs, but so far so good. I also like the glide ring.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:19 AM

I installed the 14.2.1 direct from Dynon when it first came out. The one additional step is to update the 261 xponder, which is a piece of cake. Like Lane said in the previous post, I have not noticed any ghost traffic since installing the update. Working great!!
2013- RV12, Kit #119. N123M First flight Nov21. It's a keeper!
1998- RV-9 tail kit, built and sold
1989- RV-6 tail kit, built and sold
Old 04-30-2016, 06:40 AM

I think its better to install Dynon firmware from Vans after they've vetted it for the RV-12. So many that downloaded the first few versions seemed to have problems with bugs and other issues.

That said I find the README instructions somewhat convoluted.

it would be much better if Vans were to separate it out so that one section is for new builders setting up their Skyview system and other components for the first time and the other for those that are simply upgrading to the newest firmware.

Having read thought the instructions for SV 14.2 most of it doesn't apply to my airplane other than changing the transponder setting which is done via the upgrade itself. As EBB said, unless you're also installing the 2020 GPS which does require the SV 14.2, there isn't a whole lot to change. I'm going to wait a little long to install the 2020 GPS.

About to install 14.2 and looking forward to getting rid of the ghost alerts on my own plane also!

Last edited by Top Cat : 04-30-2016 at 06:45 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:30 AM

Default Conflicting Instructions between Van's and Dynon

I have come across conflicting instructions regarding the upload process for updates/firmware for the Skyview. Van's specifically states in the README to remove ALL USB devices INCLUDING WIFI, prior to the 14.2.1 install. I just confirmed with Dynon (See Forum, Skyview General Discussion, ...data not uploading) and they are clear that the wifi and/or video DO NOT need to be removed for any uploading.

Has anyone installed 14.2.1 with a wifi dongle securely in place?
Old 05-03-2016, 08:47 AM

Try it and see what happens!

The instructions from Van's are based on a very conservative approach.

We have seen updates fail because of a sectional chart USB drive inserted into one of the back panel USB ports while the USB drive containing the update is installed in a remote USB port (I don't think the Dynon documentation warns anything against this), so the conservative approach was to say remove everything.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 05-03-2016, 08:52 AM

There are two USB ports on the SV: One in the back and one no the bottom. In most RV12s only the bottom one is easily available. If there is only one available that is the one needed to upload SV 14 into the SV system.....in other words you have to take out the Dynon WiFi dongle to use that port. But in any case it would not seem to be a problem to remove the WiFi to complete the uploading of SV14 unless you have installed it in the rear USB port and thus made it hard to reach.

EBB
Old 05-03-2016, 08:55 AM

EBB,

How did your SV 14.2.1 install go along with the 2020 GPS? Hope you have everything up and running ok now!
Old 05-03-2016, 09:03 AM

Top Cat:

I got the GPS 2020 in the mail yesterday so I will install it today. The drawings and instructions are very clear and complete so I don't foresee any trouble.

I uploaded SV 14.1 last week and that was a piece of cake too....but I'll have to go back into that for the BPS 2020 ADS-B 1470 presets once the antenna is installed.

Have you installed this stuff?

EBB