What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

High fuel pressure weirdness ???

Darren S

Well Known Member
I have no idea what's going on?

About 2 months ago, upon start up, the fuel pressure reading was unusually high. Like 45 psi. As the engine warmed and I headed to the run up area, the pressure suddenly dropped to the normal value of 23. Flights have been fine. No issues. Boost pump on or off makes no difference.

Every time I start up the same thing occurs. High fuel pressure for 5 min., as things warm it suddenly drops. Yesterday it was up to 65 psi for 5 min, then the sudden drop to 23.

I've had the -7 for 5 years. Been through 5 winters, it's a Superior IO-360 fuel injected engine. 1100 hours.

It only concerns me because its somethings "different" than before.

Any ideas what to check? Is something blocked? Ice that melts? Ideas??

Thanks

Darren

Ok thanks for the suggestions. I fly Advanced and I didn't build the bird so I'm heading out to the hanger tomorrow to see if I can locate the offending fuel pressure sender

It could also be a grounding issue. Take a hose clamp and fasten the bare end of the wire against the sender body. Ground the other end to the airframe somewhere suitable.
It is likely the sensor but try the wire first. I have a wire on the fuel sensor on my rocket and it has worked for 5 or six years?

The fuel pressure sender was cheap enough. I just ordered one from AFS. Sounds like it's an item that needs changing once in awhile. It's been 10 years and 1100+ hours.

Recently my flap switch went belly up, as did my aileron trim relay. These things just don't last forever and the vibration kills prematurely.

Thanks for the help

Back