What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint booth floor

Blain

Well Known Member
So I built a paint booth in my shop from one of those car-canopy-tent-type things.

Sealed, lighted, exhaust fan and positive vented mask. Problem is I used visqueen plastic on the floor. Bad idea. Paint doesn't stick to it, peels, becomes airborne and makes more of a mess then painting outside under the Oak trees.

Tried a butcher paper. Worked OK but tore easily. So I'm considering Tyvek Housewrap. Just not sure if paint will peel from it like from the visqueen.

Anyone have experience with Tyvek? Cowling is all I have left to paint but I don't want to be paint it twice.

The last temporary booth I built I went and bought the cheapest roll of linoleumI could find and put that down. The overspray that fell to the floor did stick to it. When enough overspray got built up it would return to powder so I kept a 1 gallon spray rig with water in it to get the floor damp before spraying. That helped immensely. I was using a two part epoxy so I would mix the paint and then go in to wet the floor and do a final tack rag on whatever I was painting. By that time the paint was ready to use.

Blain,
Are you protecting the floor so you don't get the spray on it? Wetting it won't do that. I have used the paper drop cloths you can get at HD. You could probably get them damp to keep any of the fibers from floating around. If you dont care about the floor, just wet it down and that will help quite a bit.

Have fun! I sure dont miss the hot weather you guys are having out there!!

Get you some car cover plastic and put it on the floor. It is designed for that. That's what I use in my paint booth (professionally). It is designed for paint to not flake off and is static charged to hold overspray. It is thin and disposable. I believe evercoat makes it.

Like has been said - wet the floor.

Wet the floor and keep it wet with the fans on so dragging the hose and walking around won't stir up dust. Don't use sprayers, the fine drops will float around. use a hose and big drops. No nozzle but your thumb, and keep it low.

After painting a while, your plastic ceiling and walls will be shedding stuff too. They statically attract paint. It happens, it is not a real paint booth. But you can make it work. But it will take work. Keep the booth under pressure or all the leaks will suck in dust too.

I worked with a body shop for a while 40 yrs ago. This guy could paint a whole car with enamel paint and make it look like glass all over the car. In case you don't know, you can not sand/cut/buff enamel -too soft. His paint job was completely free of specks. It took me a while to learn how he did it. Water the floor, close up the shop for two-three hours. Let the dust settle, walk back in wetting as he went, then he would final tack rag the car and paint. Walk out with all the paint fog in there, and not open the door till morning. Just a data point.

Ideas I haven't thought of. I do wet the floor with a compression sprayer but it usually dries before I'm done. Guess I'll get more water down. Shedding of the walls is probably a big factor. Maybe blow the dust loose that is hanging on statically and let the exhaust fan pull it out.

All good ideas. Thanks.

Back