What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint Runs - Can I sand them Off?

Dbro172

Well Known Member
I learned the hard way why to hire a painter. I did pretty good on my cowl but I tried priming the remaining fiberglass parts (fairings, wheel pants, spinner) without nearly as much prep and now i've got a situation on my hands. I used the poly fiber two part epoxy primer. Now i've got pinholes galore and paint runs on almost every part. They do appear to have a nice candy shell though!

Can I sand down the parts to remove the paint runs? (this isn't a single run im trying to fix here) Any suggestions on grit and whether to go wet or dry?

Thanks

Pin holes in the wheel fairings is completely normal. They used to be better but now I think of them as one big pin hole. The good thing is that now with the first coat of primer applied you can now see the pin holes. Now go about the task of filling them. My weapon of choice here is Evercoat 417 Glaze Coat. It's really thin body filler. When all the holes are filled give the fairing a light mist of black rattle can paint. Allow to dry for a few minutes then start sanding untill all the black is gone. Reprime and repeat as necessary until the desired smoothness is achieved. It's about 20-24 man hours for me to do a full set of fiberglass parts.

Runs and pinholes

If you are sanding the epoxy I would take a "soft" block and sand the runs out with 80 grit. The epoxy is really not designed to be a sanding primer just a corrosion extra and substrate sealer. A light coat of epoxy primer is all I would spray because its not designed for "fill". After sanding and pinhole filling just a light coat and when that dries spray your fill primer....

Back