What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How many cleco's could a builder chuck...

aarvig

Well Known Member
If a builder could chuck cleco's? :p I am building both wings at the same time. Considering the leading edges and fuel tanks, how many 3/32 cleco's do you think I will need? Thanks!

A builder would chuck all the cleco's he could chuck if a builder could chuck cleco's. :D

Seriously though, with my QB, I have never thought I would even come close to running out of cleco's, indeed I still have some on the shelf in their bag... I bought an RV toolkit from Isham so whatever came in that has seen me through so far.

Never to many

I bought a tool kit which I thought had more than enough clecos, but when I was doing the wings I had to buy more. However since then I have never used more than a small percentage of the total number now in the box.

Guess I will just have to build another aircraft ?!!??!!:rolleyes:

Cheers

Jim

I had about a 2 lb coffee can full - not sure how many that is, but only a few hundred. I built both wings at the same time and didn't have an issue. I'm sure I skipped every other hole or three when using clecos. Seems to fly just fine.

I have a spare cleco (that's right - ONE). It showed up last week while doing my annual, wedged in a groove on the floor of the tailcone where it had lain undisturbed since the airplane's builder finished construction 10 years ago. I totally missed it last year during my first annual, but the mechanic I had helping me this year had sharper eyes (and smaller hands to get in there) and retrieved it. Interesting little souvenir!

1000 is about right

I too have about 1,000 3/32 clecos and I have all of them in use while I build both my slow build wings and leading edges at the same time. Once you remove the underside skins like the directions say, you have all those clecos to use on your tanks.

Last edited:
I bought 800 silver; I built both wings at the same time. There were multiple times during the wings and once or twice during the fuse kit where I ran out.

Cleco count..

I got 275 with my tool kit and just ordered 300 more while I build my wings (both in parallel). Sounds like another 300 would be useful!

I got a complete set of clecos from another builder and supplemented that number with my Avery tools kit. During the time I built the wings, I ran out and had to spread them around every 2 or 3 holes. The fuselage will also require plenty at times. I would say that 600-700 is about the right number to have on hand.

I also have dozens of the larger clecos (black and brass) and was glad to have them. There are also a couple of places during the build that it is really nice to have a couple of the mini clecos that are shorter.

Back