- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2015, 04:56 AM

Default Dynon SkyView Autopilot Knobs and AP panels

I recently installed the two additional SkyView autopilot panels and have found them to be a very useful upgrade to the standard autopilot. They offer much easier access to the Complex menu, and the autotrim alone is such an extremely helpful feature that I probably would have installed the panels just for that.

As to what it takes to install them in a completed plane, the story is here:

http://www.schmetterlingaviation.com...autopilot.html

RV-6 N466PG Purchased already flying - SOLD!

Built RV-12
http://www.schmetterlingaviation.com

The above web blogs and any links provided thereto are not instructional or advisory in nature. They merely seek to share my experiences in building and flying Van's RV airplanes.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:16 AM

Default Conversion harness

Can you share information about your work-around dealing with the conversion harness and the installation of this upgrade? Vans website says, "Retrofit applications should cut the existing panel using the supplied template to avoid removal of the engine controls. If your RV-12 has the older Conversion harnesses for Finish kits shipped prior to 2012, these modules cannot be easily installed - Van's does not have the necessary schematic and instructions to adapt the older wiring harnesses."
Slane
Old 07-08-2015, 10:44 AM

I am having the same problems, I have the D180 harness with the Skyview upgrade. All I want to install is the AP Panel, but am running into problems finding installation instructions for it.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:34 PM

Default My (partially completed) experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFromTX View Post
I am having the same problems, I have the D180 harness with the Skyview upgrade. All I want to install is the AP Panel, but am running into problems finding installation instructions for it.
I also have the Skyview upgrade, and was a bit dismayed to find out from Van's that the AP and Knobs were not supported. I found, however, that things seemed to work OK for me (though I haven't got up in the air yet):

1. Cutting the holes in the center panel was no problem--everything fits--not sure if there was ever any problem with that.
2. I unplugged the existing autopilot Dsub from the magical black box. This thing is hooked into several different spots via the conversion harnesses. The old/existing Dsub I just tied some tie wraps around so that nobody would attempt to plug it back in--didn't seem worth the trouble to attempt to strip things out from where it is all connected.
3. I removed and added the wiring to the switch and AP disconnect button to the new harness.
4. I had spliced power to the cabin light to two wires feeding the AP disconnect button light in the old wiring--I removed this from the old wiring and spliced it into the same wires feeding from the new Dsub to the AP disconnect.

From all my studying of the different electrical diagrams, it appears that all the right connections are still being made. My "ground flying" of the autopilot--turning the AP on and seeing what happens--has the servos wiggling slightly for straight and level flight, and, as expected, if I change the heading bug, causes the controls to go all the way to the stops because the plane isn't really changing any direction while parked.

Not being back in the air yet, I haven't got everything completely tested. Hopefully there will be no surprises. If anyone else has studied the problem and found something I've overlooked, please let me know.
RV-12 #332
N73HR Now flying!
Austin, TX
Old 07-09-2015, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineerofsorts View Post
I also have the Skyview upgrade, and was a bit dismayed to find out from Van's that the AP and Knobs were not supported. I found, however, that things seemed to work OK for me (though I haven't got up in the air yet):

1. Cutting the holes in the center panel was no problem--everything fits--not sure if there was ever any problem with that.
2. I unplugged the existing autopilot Dsub from the magical black box. This thing is hooked into several different spots via the conversion harnesses. The old/existing Dsub I just tied some tie wraps around so that nobody would attempt to plug it back in--didn't seem worth the trouble to attempt to strip things out from where it is all connected.
3. I removed and added the wiring to the switch and AP disconnect button to the new harness.
4. I had spliced power to the cabin light to two wires feeding the AP disconnect button light in the old wiring--I removed this from the old wiring and spliced it into the same wires feeding from the new Dsub to the AP disconnect.
I did the exact same thing and everything is working as advertised. The only problems I ran into (that weren't of my own making) were:

- the very complete additional instructions on the Van's Support page miss a critical step: you have to run the Network Detect function before the panels will work
- if you use the Van's SkyView config file and don't have the canopy latch switch installed, you will have to remove the mapping for it in the EMS Sensor Mappings to get rid of the warning message and alarm.

One thing I might still change is the Van's autopilot settings are such that engaging the nav/trk hold causes a rather sharp response from the roll servo.

Built RV-12

The above web blogs and any links provided thereto are not instructional or advisory in nature. They merely seek to share my experiences in building and flying Van's RV airplanes.

Last edited by Dgamble : 07-09-2015 at 04:57 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:25 AM

Because of the way the Skyview network works, all you would have to do it disconnect one of the network cables from the Skyview screen (assuming both are used already) and run that to the knob or AP panel, then daisy chain back to the screen and everything is connected. The trim functions on the AP panel would be a little more complicated, but can't be that bad.

I haven't worked with Dynon's RV-12 harness box, but the Skyview works the way it works, so this should be a very straightforward approach.

Oh, cables to daisy chain can be made or can be purchased from Dynon.
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:41 AM

You can buy a pre-cut panel from Vans.
N588DF RV12 #336 Sold
N73DF RV12 #244 Flying
Old 07-09-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave12 View Post
You can buy a pre-cut panel from Vans.
The plan pages that Van's includes with the panels kit mention that, but if I remember correctly they only support the Garmon GTR-200, not the older SL-40 or a GTR-225. I still would have been torn had a panel for the SL-40 been available - as much as I dreaded cutting the holes, I really, really dislike removing the engine cables. I know there's a post-airworthiness fix for that, but I'm finding avoidance to work pretty well too.

Built RV-12

Old 07-09-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgamble View Post
One thing I might still change is the Van's autopilot settings are such that engaging the nav/trk hold causes a rather sharp response from the roll servo.
I second this!
EAA #23982 - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 620+ hours (as of Apr 2018)!
VAF donation through June 2018.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgamble View Post
. . . "One thing I might still change is the Van's autopilot settings are such that engaging the nav/trk hold causes a rather sharp response from the roll servo." . . .
Roll sensitivity needs to be reduced a little. I would decrease the roll sensitivity, one number at a time, until that dampens out.

Easy fix.