What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADAHRS bracket

bobnoffs

Well Known Member
i am at the point to rivit the brackets supplied for the adahrs to the top skin.
i know there was talk of reinforcements to this. is there an approved reinforcement? would i be better to wait to rivit as maybe one of the reinforcements involves a doubler between brackets and top skin?
that's about it, then put some money in the coin slot for the wing kit!

You should wait. There may or may not be a stiffener improvement in the works, but even if not, you'll find it will be much easier to attach the ADAHRS to the brackets prior to riveting the brackets to the tailcone.

Older Emp Kit

My build went onto the shelf for a period of time, (while I assembled/built a hangar) so I'm catching up with some 'tailcone' tasks that I can knockout before I connect to fuselage and don't have easy access. I've ordered/received the ADAHRS stiffener bracket, and I'm discovering that my skin (F-1278) does not have holes for ADAHRS brackets (F-00009L & R). Page 42C-09. Has anyone else run into this?

I'm pretty sure the ADAHRS bracket did not exist when my emp kit was delivered. I have not called Van's yet. Figured I check here in the forum to see if anyone else has experienced this.

Are there any other tasks I might consider doing inside the open tailcone before I connect to fuse?

Hi Bob?

I used the Sky View ADAHRS F000011 template to drill and then rivet the new Sky View ADAHRS brackets to the old version of the top skin.

f000011.jpg

Of course, there is now a Garmin ADAHRS also.

Jeff

Garmin question , stiffener info

I am very curious to learn where the Garmin ADHARS and Magnetometer will be mounted. With the Skyview system the two components are in the same box, thus the mounting location in the tailcone.

In a clean sheet Garmin design for the 12, it would make sense for the ADHARS to be mounted behind the panel and just have the Magnetometer mounted in the tailcone. However, due the way the wiring is designed, I'm wondering if Vans will put the Garmin ADHARS in the tailcone also.

Regarding the stiffener, Vans came out with a small rib that mounts to the top skin just forward of the Skyview ADHARS mount. I think it may ship as a standard item with the current Avionics package. I purchased the rib and installed it a couple of months ago.

That's correct Rick. it does ship with the avionics package. It is very straight forward to install and will be very easy to install with the tail cone unattached.

Have a spare ADAHRS stiffener rib

Yes, the SkyView ADAHRS stiffener rib now comes with the avionics kit. I purchased the stiffener months back and recently received the Avionics kit and much to my surprise, there was one included ...now I have a spare.

If anybody could use my extra stiffener rib, will send it off for the cost of postage. If interested PM me.

Happy building

Hi

Does anyone have a PDF of the transversely mounted ADAHRS stiffener fitment instructions they could send me? . I bought a stiffener a few months back but don't have the instructions re the exact location on the top of the tailbone.

I have slid the stiffener bracket along the J stiffener on the top tail skin to where it looks like it should fit but could do with being sure before I get the drill out.

Alternatively , if anyone could give me the distance from the centre of the foreword most rivets on the L and R ADAHRS attach brackets to the centre line of the stiffener, this would work.

Anthony

Last edited:
Top man Brent. Thanks very much.

I'm off into the garage to have a go at this. My partner, Julie, is not going to be happy that you found this so Quick. She thought I was going to stay in the house all day today!

Thanks again.

Anthony

Stiffener drilled & deburred and fitted along with ADAHRS. Going back in the house now to appease the other half. Wish me luck!

Anthony

Back