Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2013, 07:12 PM

In Skyview, the audible alerts can be configured to turn on or off whatever you want. There are no terrain alerts from Skyview. BTW, I don't see "stall" listed as an warning that can be made aural.

During flight if everything is in the green, you should only hear traffic alerts which means that the traffic is on a collision (or near collision) course in 30 sec. Personally, I would like to know that. I have a Garmin 495 that provides terrain warnings when I am within the terrain clearances I set and not on approach to a runway. If on approach it announces 500 ft, at which point one should be on a stabilized approach, including a final gear down check (assuming it retracts). Again, I would like to know if I am about to hit a tower or something.

Eveything else should be quiet in flight, unless something is wrong, again I'd like to know that. Now if you set your limits inappropriately, you might be getting inappropriate alerts.

Aural alerts help you keep your scan focused outside knowing that an aural alert will let you know to check back inside.

Dan
Old 10-21-2013, 12:35 PM

Default No Skyview Audio

RV-12 with skyview harness (not the upgrade). I have no audio from the skyview. Went to the setup screen, under audio and boosted the level to 100 %. You are supposed to hear a tone(?) when adjusting the level. With the engine off, I can barely hear something. Stall warning tone is quite loud, intercom and radio levels are excellent. What am I missing, or not doing?
Old 01-05-2014, 10:18 PM

Default Skyview Audio Alert with Conversion Harness

The Skyview audio alerts work for me but the volume is very low and makes it darned near impossible to hear the message when the engine is running and even less so when I'm in the air. I've gone into the system setup menu and my audio for all possible functions is turned on and the level is 100%.

Has anyone resolved this? I know what it should sound like because I did transition training in N412RV and the audio alerts while flying were easy to hear.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slane View Post
The Skyview audio alerts work for me but the volume is very low and makes it darned near impossible to hear the message when the engine is running and even less so when I'm in the air. I've gone into the system setup menu and my audio for all possible functions is turned on and the level is 100%.

Has anyone resolved this? I know what it should sound like because I did transition training in N412RV and the audio alerts while flying were easy to hear.
Try it from the passenger side. If your's is like mine, and I'm betting that is, the Dynon voice will be much better from that side. I also have a problem with my intercom: ISO mode locks me out, not the passenger. It would be interesting to know if your's is the same.

RV-6 N466PG Purchased already flying - SOLD!

Built RV-12
http://www.schmetterlingaviation.com

The above web blogs and any links provided thereto are not instructional or advisory in nature. They merely seek to share my experiences in building and flying Van's RV airplanes.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:48 AM

I too am having audio issues. I have the conversion harness setup. I hear the Dynon Skyview voice and the "engine speed" and "oil pressure" on shutdown (kind of faint) but do not hear many other things. I hear the AOA beeping very well. ISOLATE on the i/c knocks me out, not the passenger. (There was another thread with advice about swapping 2 wires at the intercom plug that just made things much worse so i just swapped them back.)

Radio and sidetone and intercom are fine (as long as it is not in ISOLATE)

My annual is in March. I intend to disconnect the music wire at the panel end.

I get a weird feedback when transmitting on the ground. Not in the air. That began after my last annual. The only changes I made then were to 1) add The ADSB box behind the bulkhead and the ADSB antenna. It is more than 3 feet from the com antenna. 2) Add the serial wire (unshielded) from the radio to the AV5000 to enable the new Skyview TUNE COM functionality. I'll be rechecking the antenna connector at the back of the com radio because I had to fool with that.

Since things have been OK but not optimum Ive put up with them. Hope to fix them in March. But my home hangar does not receive any continuous radio transmissions (like ATIS) which makes the troubleshooting process difficult. Fooling with the potentiomenters on the AV5000 is not easy! You can't even see if the little screwdriver is engaged.

Whats this about HIGH and LOW audio wires? I need to check that out too.

Heres some frustration about it. I installed the ADSB. Some were able to do this using the plug on the AV5000 marked for it. Simply plug in the 4 wires from the receiver to that plug and voila. Well, I could not. The power and ground wires worked but the two serial wires had no continuity to the correct wires in the 37pin D1000 connector. So I had to split those two out and stick them directly into the 37 pin connector. This lowers my confidence in the internal connections of the AV5000 and the harnesses in general. By the way, are all the connections that pass through the AV5000 supposed to have continuity when the AV5000 is unpowered? Or must the circuitry in the AV5000 be powered for some of the signals to pass through?

Bill H. N412BR "Sweetie" First factory Skyview conversion ELSA.

Last edited by Bill_H : 01-06-2014 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:30 PM

Default Conversion

I did everything else I could waiting for Skyview release so I had conversion connectors to install Skyview. I have audio turn up to 100% but can not hear it in cruise, only on the ground with engine shut down.

I have never messed with any of this associated wiring and I am okay with this set-up. I recall a past post where it might be a matter of be careful what you wish for when receiving the audio warnings. IMHO
RV12, #401, Flying 2013, N612PC
RV6, 1996-2010 sold
Old 01-07-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
are all the connections that pass through the AV5000 supposed to have continuity when the AV5000 is unpowered? Or must the circuitry in the AV5000 be powered for some of the signals to pass through?
Bill, do you have the latest RV-12 schematic dated 07-08-13?
http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/d...1_07-08-13.zip
An earlier version showed AV-50000A as an empty box. The latest version shows how the wires are connected inside of the box. Most of the input wires pass straight through and do not require power. There are some functions that require power, i.e., stall tone generator, audio amp, spar pin monitor, pitch trim speed, lamp dimmer. I do not have the SkyView or AV-50000A. So my opinion is based on Van's schematic and my knowledge of my D-180 equipped RV-12.
Joe Gores
Old 01-08-2014, 08:26 AM

You mean this schematic?

Yes, but it is not that helpful.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgamble View Post
Try it from the passenger side. If your's is like mine, and I'm betting that is, the Dynon voice will be much better from that side. I also have a problem with my intercom: ISO mode locks me out, not the passenger. It would be interesting to know if your's is the same.
My SV conversion harness package is operating the same way. No audible alerts over the engine noise with systems volume set to the highest. Also, the isolate knocks out me and not the passenger. The passenger knocks out the pilot. I'm sure it's a tko. I'll call Van's in the morning and hope there's a referee with the right answer.
Slane
Old 01-16-2014, 08:30 AM

I have the skyview installation - not the upgrade, and had the same problem. On the inboard side of the AV5000 are some audio output volume adjustments. There are two EFIS? adjustments marked L and R. I adjusted these (Can't remember which way to turn) and can now hear the skyview audio clearly.

RV-12 120622
waiting DAR insp