What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Priming outside skin

propsync

Well Known Member
Hi Group,

I have a question about priming.

I have been shooting my SEM self etching primer on the exterior skin of my first wing following the rivet holes. My thought was I wanted to get get primer in the rivet holes quick like without using a qtip.

But, I'm starting to wonder if that is a good idea or not. My concern being will this cause any problems for the painter when it comes time to painting the airplane?

Sem self etch

I used Sem self etch on the inside of the plane and interior
Parts of wings and control surfaces as well as mating surfaces and very
happy with the results. The paint is awesome.

However, before you use it on the outside, make sure
It will be compatible with the exterior finish.
Just today I bought epoxy primer to be used on outside surfaces that specifically
stated not to be applied over self etch primer.

Last edited:
I used Sem self etch on the inside of the plane and interior
Parts of wings and control surfaces as well as mating surfaces and very
happy with the results. The paint is awesome.

However, before you use it on the outside, make sure
It will be compatible with the exterior finish.
Just today I bought epoxy primer to be used on outside surfaces that specifically
stated not to be applied over self etch primer.

Don't know what the exterior finish will be other than traditional aircraft white paint?

One data point

I used PTI enamel from ACS for my do-it-yourself paint job. They recommended their zinc chromate as a primer. I applied the zinc chromate over the SEM self etching primer; so far (2.5 years) there is no sign of any peeling. Your mileage may vary.

It won't hurt anything at this point. When the time comes to do the finish painting, all the primer overspray on the surfaces needs to be removed.

Back