What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Eagles are big up close ! Wish I had the Go Pro going.

Paul Tuttle

Well Known Member
I was out for a hop yesterday. I'd just finished my downwind check and looked back outside in time to see an extra large bald eagle right in front of me and very close. He was performing some rather impressive collision avoidance maneuvers, which was a good thing because I didn't have time to. He went over the canopy I'm guessing about 20 or 30 feet over my head. I'm glad I was slowed to about 85 kts for the encounter. Made the helmet debate come to mind.

Hi Paul,

Glad it was a near miss and not a hit. A friend here had a bird strike in his -8 earlier this year, which needed a new canopy.

Steve

Watch for those proud birds Paul. Luckily the eagle started evasive maneuver our soarers here own the skies and never sidestep. For me at least... :)

I had make an attack run at me a few years ago. I was climbing out of Arlington (KAWO) in my little C-150 and at about 500' over the river where they nest I encountered a very large one. He changed course to intercept and I thought for a moment he was going to hit my right wing. It would have been fatal for him, but no so great for me either.

At the very last instant he folded his wings and ducked his head and dove under my wing. He didn't miss by more than a few feet. It may have just been my imagination, but I could swear he gave me a dirty look just before he dove.

In our neck of the woods, we have one of the largest concentrated populations of bats in the world. Try flying through a flight of those. Very scary. I was coupled with approach control and they held me at 4500' for a while which flew us right into a sea of black dots coming at us. It took me a couple of seconds to figure out what it was as I announced to ATC that I was vacating 4500' in a max rate climb for collision avoidance... They made some kind of inquiry that didn't compute to which I could only reply "Standby." We topped the flock about another 500' higher. ATC said that they saw them take flight and saw them on radar at our position (normal), but "...they usually don't fly that high." OMG, WTF, SOB!
Bats must be great at collision avoidance, because not one of them hit me.

In our neck of the woods, we have one of the largest concentrated populations of bats in the world. Try flying through a flight of those. Very scary. I was coupled with approach control and they held me at 4500' for a while which flew us right into a sea of black dots coming at us. It took me a couple of seconds to figure out what it was as I announced to ATC that I was vacating 4500' in a max rate climb for collision avoidance... They made some kind of inquiry that didn't compute to which I could only reply "Standby." We topped the flock about another 500' higher. ATC said that they saw them take flight and saw them on radar at our position (normal), but "...they usually don't fly that high." OMG, WTF, SOB!
Bats must be great at collision avoidance, because not one of them hit me.

They have RADAR!!

BTW, how did the PnP presentation go?

I was out for a hop yesterday and looked back outside in time to see an extra large bald eagle right in front of me and very close.

Paul - that is good practice for your visit to 53VG. We have turkey buzzards at 1000-2000' and raptor birds at 1500-3000'

We get wedgetail eagles here. Wingspans up to 10', weighing about 20 - 25 lbs. In summer they can often be found at heights above 10,000'. They usually hang around soaring at the top of convection looking for food on the ground, and when they find it they tuck their wings in and descend like a bullet, flaring and reaching out with their talons at the last second to grip their prey and loft it skyward.

They can spot a fieldmouse from about 8000'.

We see a lot of them in gliders. For most times of the year they're pretty benign, and will happily share thermals with us, occasionally coming in close to play in the wingtip vortices. I've had one of them formate on me close enough that I could see the feathers around his eyes rustling in the slipstream. One of those amazing experiences that you can only explain to other aviators.

We give them a wide berth during mating season, because they can get pretty aggressive and territorial. When they want to attack they'll position themselves above and behind you in the sun, then dive-bomb towards you. They'll typically aim for the canopy or the ailerons, probably because they usually disable other birds by going for the eyes or the wingtip feathers.

They almost always miss to the aft (no sense of scale, no idea of how big we are, upsets their aim and timing?)

We can use them as thermal markers when flying cross country on blue-sky days. If you see two or three of them circling in the distance, it means there's a thermal there, and they aren't feeling territorial (if you see one of them circling alone, there's lift but maybe he's too aggressive to have companions)

I've seen a couple of cases of people hitting them by accident. They make a bit of a mess of the leading edge, not the kind of thing you'd want to make a habit of. I think it's very, very rare.

- mark

Paul - that is good practice for your visit to 53VG. We have turkey buzzards at 1000-2000' and raptor birds at 1500-3000'

Glen,

It's been a tough summer on birds for me. A pheasant went through the grill of my truck, some kind of bird bounced off my boot while riding the bike leaving a trail of feathers behind and now this eagle. I'm starting to feel like I'm in an Alfred Hitchcock movie. :D

I had a golden go above my right wingtip a couple years ago--missed by 5-8 feet. My wife was thrilled to see it. I didn't let on how much it scared me, as I didn't see it until I was almost on it with no time to react. I was surprised that it didn't seem to take any evasive action, and I got a good look at its eyes.

Bob

They are beautiful

I know that these birds can be the cause of a heart in the mouth moment along with a rapid increase in the pulse rate, but they are simply beautiful creatures. I have a real sense of awe and joy whenever I see any of the Raptor species, but especially eagles. Boy they can fly so effortlessly they make us look like rank amateurs.

As Mark said in his post, down here we get Wedge Tailed Eagles and they can be very large, and when they come past in the same thermal you are in it is scary and thrilling at the same time. I have seen them line up and pounce from a great height on some unsuspecting critter, they just fold those wings take aim and down they go guided by those amazing eyes.

Love them birds!

Jim

I have a 23rd floor apartment on the water front in Hong Kong. Eagles regularly soar on the updraughts and pass just a few feet from the windows. Awesome!

Eagles and bird avoidance

I got to share airspace with a beautiful Golden Eagle over lake Texoma on the Texas/Oklahoma border on a Sunday afternoon. It was a wonderful experience. We both kept a safe distance from each other as we did lazy circles.

I've been told that the Doll's half black, half white spinner works well to help our feathered friends avoid me. It has a strobe effect that the birds notice from a greater distance. I can't verify any of this, but I haven't had any really close calls in thirteen years of flying. Maybe there's something to it!

Back