What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Powder Coat - Steps & Undercarriage?

Chopkins

Hi all

My fuse build is going well and I will be shortly needing to mount the steps and undercarriage. Origianally I was going to etch prime these ready for top coating later. However, I have a relative who works at a poweder coating firm and was thinking of asking him to sandblast and powder coat the steps. I then thought that I could do that same with the undercarriage legs........

My question is, can the undercarriage legs be powdercoated? Will the heat of the curing process damage them? Will powdercoat stand uo to the constant flexing of the legs?

Just had a thought....What abouyt the flap handle? Could this be powdercoated? or would the heat affect the rod end bearing?

Any advice gratefully recieved.

Anthony
G-RVTW

My gear legs arrived powder-coated, so it obviously won't hurt the temper. I'm not as sure about the sand-blasting but I'm probably being overcautious about stress risers. The gear legs are pretty stout. I also powder-coated the steps on my RV-10 but I'm not flying yet, so no data about durability. The steps on my RV-6A are painted and the paint is wearing through on the step surface. Not being familiar with the RV-12 in detail, is the rod-end bearing integral to the handle? If not, just remove it. Even if you can't, it should still stand up to the process (your powder-coat guy can mask it) and a little lube after for insurance should be all you need. Powder coating is not as harsh as people seem to think - now, ceramic coating, there's a process.

My gear legs arrived powder-coated, so it obviously won't hurt the temper.

Different legs on the '12. all aluminum. I am going to do my steps and flap handle. The process(heat involved) my affect the aluminum of the legs. Those I would leave alone.

Steps only

Gear legs are power-coated and were painted without any problem. I took a sample of the color I planned to use to the powder-coater ans found a color that was an almost perfect match for the steps. They've held up very well. Also had the panel powder coated in a textured black

Wayne 120241/143WM

I did my steps and flap handle, but not the landing gear. The advice from Van's was to paint the LG as the heat from the powder coating cure might effect the temper. My steps were done with a chrome silver base with clear on it and the flap handle was done with smoke chrome with clear. Two cautions on the flap handle, clean & relube the bearing when you are done, and mask the ends of the tube that go in the F-1262 flap handle blocks before you powder coat. I neglected to do the latter and had to remove the powder coating and polish to get a nice fit.

dsc00965xe.jpg

dsc00999a.jpg

John Salak
RV-12 #116

Sand blasting can actually make the material resistant to developing cracks because it puts the surface in compression. We used to use a similar process called shot preening in power plants to lower surface tensile stress in heat exchanger tubes that were susceptible to stress corrosion cracking.

Slightly off topic, but if you decide to go with powdercoat, look at www.prismaticpowders.com for their hugh selection of colors. Their chromes look like real chrome. Color coats over chrome are beautiful. We have a custom tandem bike, 21 lbs., getting their treatment next week. I have used this stuff on several high wear items, and it is tough as nails.

Jim Berry
RV-10

The flap handle, sure, no problem.

On my Cessna 180, I had the steel landing gear legs powder coated. They used the correct powder coat primer underneath. What I've found is that if it has no fairings, they'll chip from the small rocks or gravel or even sand that the prop throws back. Once chipped, a small piece of powder coating will come off and let moisture in to start some corrosion.

It's virtually impossible to touch it up because of the change of texture. My best effort so far included sanding the powder coat around the chip, priming several coats with a primer, and painting it with a rattle-can paint.

I DON'T recommend powder coating the landing gear legs. Use one of the better two-part paints instead.

Dave

I powder coated my steps and recently saw some that were chrome. Also power coated the flap handle but I too recommend taping off the pivot areas and the inside of the tube to keep the powder out.

I left the gear legs along except I did prime the area where they connect in the fuselage and to the axles.

I powder coated all the interior access panels, seat-backs, canopy frame, and several parts in the engine compartment.

Thank you all for your replies. I really appreciate it.

Decision made. I am going to powder coat the steps

I am going to powder coat the gear and flap handle. Instead, I will 2k etch prime the landing gear and flap handle ready for when I top coat the rest of the outer of the aircraft. - Not prepared to risk affecting the Alloy qualities of the landing gear by exposing it to the heat of the powder coat process. Simiarly, don't want to risk damaging the captive bearing on the flap handle by heat.

Have a great weekend all.

Anthony

Last edited:
Back