What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Side Skins - Under the Roll Bar Mount or Proud?

Chopkins

Hi All

Aologies if this has been covered before. I have done a few searches and whilst I can find lots of info on Longeron woes (Don't get me started about my Longeron issues!), I can't find any on this subject.

Basiclly, I have mocked up the fitment of both of my Longerons onto my RV 12 Fuselage. I have clecko'd the side skins in place and note that while the Longerons fit snugly under the Roll Bar Mount plate, they do not slide in enough to allow the skins to sit underneath the roll bar mount. The instructions are a little vague on this subject but the 'Home Built Help' video that I have suggests that the side skin should tuck under the roll bar mount plate so the side of the aircraft is flush. Can anybody help?

215_zps51a4fd2a.jpg

214_zps86953d0d.jpg

Regards

Anthony Watkins
Sutton Coldfield
England
G-RVTW

Last edited:
The side skins are designed to have the skin edge align flush to the vertex (the sharp corner) of the longeron. That is why you are told to fit the cockpit side rail to the longeron with an overhang to account for the thickness of the side skin. They are not specifically designed to do the same at the roll bar mount because that wont be visible when you install the top after skins (it covers over that area).

I wish I had done a better job of aligning the outboard face of the longeron with the exterior, vertical surface of the post that is below the longeron. This would have required some slight trimming of the part of the post that contacts the interior angle of the longeron. This location is clearly shown in the first photo.

This would have to be done before the vertical match drilling into the longeron.

The skins on both sides of my plane show a slight deformation in this area.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys

Christmas Shopping finished. I am off back into the garage to do some match drilling. I will check first that the longeron face is flush with the centre section upright beneath it. - Good spot - Many thanks.

Best regards

Anthony

Back