What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Runway incursion

Jimboscr

Well Known Member
This is not strictly an RV story, but anything that helps us learn to prevent a safety problem is good to look at. I saw this little video recently and it made me sit up, I was told that this was shot at Moorabbin (In Victoria Australia) keep looking at the left hand side of the screen.

http://s1086.beta.photobucket.com/u...-2011-165runwayincursion_zpsf9c784a3.mp4.html

The aircraft on the left was under the control of a student pilot with an instructor beside him, the instructor was distracted and did not notice that the student broke through a holding point.

It makes me shudder to think what might have happened if the landing aircrafts pilot didn't have quick reflexes, and enough skill (luck?)to prevent it from stalling.

I hope this works as I have never tried to upload a video before. (I have had several tries to get the video link to work, and all I can come up with is to use the URL above)

Jim

Last edited:
Wow, that's pretty sobering.

Moorabbin has a bit of a reputation for incursions.

I'll be flying SOL into that airport on the 26th, current plan is to leave YPPF on the morning of the 26th, top off the tanks at YMTG, then cruise up the Great Ocean Road to YMMB. Hopefully all the students are grounded 'cos the instructors are on holidays :)

- mark

Nice trip

I'll be flying SOL into that airport on the 26th, current plan is to leave YPPF on the morning of the 26th, top off the tanks at YMTG, then cruise up the Great Ocean Road to YMMB. Hopefully all the students are grounded 'cos the instructors are on holidays :)

Sounds like a good trip, and it will a lot better than driving it, the boxing day crowds will be on the roads and there are bound to be drivers with post Christmas hangovers!

Jim

Holy cow. That would have ended badly. I vaguely heard voices in the background. I'm sure it was a few choice words for the other pilot. Was there any other information? What distracted the pilots on the ground so that they didn't see the plane that had just landed.

Holy cow. That would have ended badly. I vaguely heard voices in the background. I'm sure it was a few choice words for the other pilot. Was there any other information? What distracted the pilots on the ground so that they didn't see the plane that had just landed.
The ATSB Accident Report. Page 50 is the one you want.

Last edited:
I would like to think that the pilot landing noticed the taxiing a/c way before that and should have expected that to happen. As you can see, that problem is built in to that airport.

Out here we have deer. And they don't have radios or controllers.

Thank goodness for ground effect! I had a 172 pull out on short final this past summer at a little fly-in. I am glad we had an IO-540 and CS prop.

I saw this video at a recent CASA safety seminar, I'd hate to see the colour of the pilots shorts on landing.

Jim, I struggled for a little while to get the youtube link to work on another forum, you just need to copy the info after the last forward slash in the link below, in between the following if is activated on the forum.

http://youtu.be/6w-ZnkeXI7c

[youtube]6w-ZnkeXI7c[/youtube]

Not sure my C150 would have been able to get airborne in time to avoid a collision. WOW! Hopefully I would have noticed him moving near the hold line and could have gone around sooner. Thanks for the post.

Was that plane stopped and then just started moving at the last minute, or was it moving the whole time? I looked at the video several times and can't tell for sure.

a learning experience

Out here we have deer. And they don't have radios or controllers.

Every place has its obstacles. You have deer and we have kangaroos, Flying foxes ( a cat sized bat), Emu and even Wombats (boulders with legs!). Hitting any of them in an aircraft will ruin your day.

:confused: With such a complex set of runways crossing each other sure you better watch twice before line up or land !

Yes it is very complex and its design does make it difficult, but a holding point is a holding point, and they are clearly marked. I think the lesson here is that you need to have your eyes outside the cockpit and maintain your situational awareness at all times. In this case the pilot in command (the senior instructor) was distracted, and this allowed the student pilot to make what could have been a fatal error.

The lesson I take from this is if it can happen to an experienced professional then it could just as easily happen to me. The adage "fly the aircraft" holds true on the ground as well as in the air.

Jim

Sandpiper, I first see the plane in the upper left at around three or four seconds into the video. I may have seen it for a fraction of a second just after that prior to seeing it almost on the runway.

Was that plane stopped and then just started moving at the last minute, or was it moving the whole time? I looked at the video several times and can't tell for sure.
The errant Cessna was moving the whole time, but was only cleared to hold short, not cross the runway. Due to the instructor talking to his student, he wasn't aware they'd crossed the hold short line and violated their clearance until after the event.

Well, I now know that at least one of the tower controllers at YMMB reads VAF :)

Great to talk to you, Sir. Maybe I'll see you again in a couple of days.

- mark

still learning.....great discussion!

As I re-activated my license after a 25 year hiatus, my 'new' young instructor was a great example. Since he flew medevac and charters almost daily, in the dark, IFR, he had a different mindset than us Sunday fairweather guys.
Before crossing any intersection, cleared or not, or entering the active, he always said out loud " Is it clear left? ( pause to look) yes.
Is it clear right? ( pause, observe) yes. Then the throttle was advanced.

If you can't SEE 'right' due to the angle, or a wing, or your passengers fat head, you need to move or pivot slightly before rolling across or onto the active!

Scary

That is scary! You have no place on any part of an airport if you don't keep your eyes open and your wits about you, and it that goes for aircraft, cars or pedestrians!

Jim

Back