What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Cooler Shutter?

BruceP

Well Known Member
It appears that Van's no longer sells the oil cooler shutter. Does anyone know of anyone else who makes and sells one?

Thanks but I was unable to find anything on the Aircraft Spruce site unless I'm missing something.

It appears that Van's no longer sells the oil cooler shutter. Does anyone know of anyone else who makes and sells one?

... We are currently tooling up to produce them if you can wait a bit
until we are ready with production model. Thanks, Allan...:D

Thanks Tim, I guess I saw that but was looking for one similar to the Van's type.

Allan, when do you think you will have them? Will it be similar to the one Van's sold?

Thanks Tim, I guess I saw that but was looking for one similar to the Van's type.

Allan, when do you think you will have them? Will it be similar to the one Van's sold?

...Yes! Very similar. Hope to have them in about five weeks.
Thanks, Allan....:D

Oil Cooler Shutter

Allen,

As a user of a number of your products, I am sure your oil cooler shutter will be a success.

I think I would like one that is adjustable thru the dipstick access in the cowl. I don't think I need another cable thru the firewall.

Is the Lithium battery box available yet?

Allan -- I would consider one (assuming this is the sliding-finger-type) for my RV-12's oil cooler. Prefer cockpit-mounted cable control and readily removable for max oil cooling effect during hot summer months. Thanks!

Last edited:
I have an oil cooler shutter that I took off my RV9A. It has all attaching hardware and cable. Would be willing to part with it.

To prevent the common baffle cracks, I mounted my oil cooler on the firewall and put a butterfly valve inline with the SCAT that goes to the inlet of the oil cooler. Works extremely well in the colder months and I have been told that it cuts off more air than the shutter.

Allen,

I would like one of your oil cooler slider plates for my RV-12....also, by chance would you be making something of the same sort for the RV-12 coolant radiator?

I use the nonstop aviation butterfly; I believe this unit is exactly the same, as Cleaveland took over selling them after nonstop went out of business. Mine may be the 3" version though:

http://www.cleavelandtool.com/4-AIR-CONTROLLER-FOR-RV-10-OIL-COOLER/productinfo/1503/#.WKiYXRgZPq1

I love it. I mounted mine between the rear baffle and the scat tube, and I have been really happy with it. With the knob in the cockpit, I can control my oil temp to a degree or two range very easily in flight. I understand one poster's concern about another cable through the firewall, but I find I am often adjusting in flight, so personally I really like having that ability.

Oil Cooler Shutter

How about just using a wood working Vac system shuttle valve shown below. I mounted my oil cooler on the firewall and use this one.

Oil%20Cooler%20Air%20Valve3.jpg

OilCoolerAirValve.jpg

OilCoolerAirValveopening.jpg

Oil%20Cooler%20Plentum%20on%20Oil%20Cooler1.jpg

For those considering the Shutter Type, they are not free flowing when open. When the Shutter is wide open, the flow is restricted and you will have higher oil temps than without the Shutter.
For many of us, this isn't a problem. I installed the Shutter for Winter ops as my oil temp was too low. The Shutter raised the Oil Temps adequately for most Winter ops in our neck of the woods. It also raised Oil Temps in Summer but for my particular situation, it still does not present a problem as even on the hottest days, I operate well under spec.

For those considering the Shutter Type, they are not free flowing when open. When the Shutter is wide open, the flow is restricted and you will have higher oil temps than without the Shutter.
For many of us, this isn't a problem. I installed the Shutter for Winter ops as my oil temp was too low. The Shutter raised the Oil Temps adequately for most Winter ops in our neck of the woods. It also raised Oil Temps in Summer but for my particular situation, it still does not present a problem as even on the hottest days, I operate well under spec.

Should not be a problem...in Idaho, even in Summer, my temps are not very high..

I have been running in the 160s in North GA since December. Just installed this today and plan to fly tomorrow. Do you think it will raise temps to the 180s for winter ops I would remove it for summer? I figured I could drill the 5 holes larger if temps run higher than I want.
IMG_5143_zpsbetjosbt.jpg

I have been running in the 160s in North GA since December. Just installed this today and plan to fly tomorrow. Do you think it will raise temps to the 180s for winter ops I would remove it for summer? I figured I could drill the 5 holes larger if temps run higher than I want.
IMG_5143_zpsbetjosbt.jpg
I doubt it.... I made a shutter that would completely block the back side of the oil cooler and was controllable from the cockpit for summer time. It had hardly any effect when it was fully closed (about 5 degree) between fully closed and fully open. I end up buying one of the shutter that gets mounted in the front and now I can control the temp a great deal more.

IMG_5143_zpsbetjosbt.jpg
I have a very similar cover plate and it should do exactly what you need it to do. My full cover plate with no holes raises temps 30F at least. The only problem s that it is not adjustable. I had to pull the top cowl and remove it mid cross country last week because the west side of the Cascades was so much warmer than the East! Still, a very effective solution.

I flew today with the new winter baffle installed. 65F OAT on the ground, 40-50F OAT in cruise at 9500'. Oil temp in climb was 195F and 180-182F in cruise. Departure from KACJ 71F OAT, oil temp stayed <195F on departure. I plan to continue testing in hot weather and cold weather to determine if it needs to be larger or the holes need to be opened up. My plan is to work out some hardware to make it removable with one 1/4 turn fastener and only use it in winter.

Oil Shutter vs Vernatherm

It is my understanding that many Lycoming engines are equipped with a vernatherm to regulate oil flow thru the oil cooler. The vernatherm remains closed until the oil temperature reaches 180 deg F. and then it opens allowing the oil to circulate thru the cooler. On hot days, the oil flows thru the cooler, and on cold days the vernatherm shuts off oil flow to the cooler.

So, my question is, is an oil shutter necessary on an engine equipped with a vernatherm?

Last edited:
I use the nonstop aviation butterfly; I believe this unit is exactly the same, as Cleaveland took over selling them after nonstop went out of business. Mine may be the 3" version though:

http://www.cleavelandtool.com/4-AIR-CONTROLLER-FOR-RV-10-OIL-COOLER/productinfo/1503/#.WKiYXRgZPq1

I love it. I mounted mine between the rear baffle and the scat tube, and I have been really happy with it. With the knob in the cockpit, I can control my oil temp to a degree or two range very easily in flight. I understand one poster's concern about another cable through the firewall, but I find I am often adjusting in flight, so personally I really like having that ability.

This is exactly the results I have with the same unit....... Full control of the oil temperature. Heats up quick, and stays where I set it.

It is my understanding that many Lycoming engines are equipped with a vernatherm to regulate oil flow thru the oil cooler. The vernatherm remains closed until the oil temperature reaches 180 deg F. and then it opens allowing the oil to circulate thru the cooler. On hot days, the oil flows thru the cooler, and on cold days the vernatherm shuts off oil flow to the cooler.

So, my question is, is an oil shutter necessary on an engine equipped with a vernatherm?

Your discription is exactly opposite of how the vernatherm works. When cold the vernatherm is open allowing some oil to bypass the cooler. When hot it is shut so all oil goes to the cooler. So even when cold, some oil is alway going to the cooler.

I use a butterfly valve on my cooler - simple and very effective.

Carl

Anyone have any source for a cooler shutter? I have been emailing Alan for a number of weeks and doesn't appear that they are available yet. It's getting cold... and I could really use one!

Thanks,

Brian

Oil Cooler Shutters!!!!

... We are assembling units now, and will begin shipping this Friday!
We apologize for taking so long to bring this product to market, and
you guys that ordered and said you would wait, Thank You for being
understanding. We have made a few improvements over the originals
that will up the efficiency and provide years of service. I think most
will agree, the wait was worth it. Thanks, Allan..:D:D

Allan, would this mount on the back of the oil cooler or between the baffles and the oil cooler? Any install docs available?

......They sandwich between the baffle and the oil cooler,
and are about 1/8th" thick. Thanks, Allan..:D

Actuation Question!

.... I had a question posed to me and thought it prudent to post it and
my answer, as I am sure others will think of this possibility as well.

Question; Any suggestions on a control? I?ve seen cables,
but perhaps a small electronic control would also work
(similar to what you have on your Cool Cowl Flap).

Answer;... We could easily do this with one of our limier actuators,
and had originally planed to offer this as an option. After thinking about
it, I came to the conclusion that not much is as dependable as a cable.
If you had a actuator failure, or any kind of electrical problem, requiring
the shut down of the master switch, and the shutter was closed at the
time, you now have a possible over temperature issue in the making. Most
likely with no indication of temperature, as the master is off. After reviewing
all the possible scenarios in my head, I thought it best to play it safe and
only offer the manual version of the product.
Thanks, Allan ..:D

Back