What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O2 Sensors with 100LL

TXFlyGuy

Well Known Member
I understand that a narrow band O2 sensor from NGK is lead tolerant.

What is your experience?

Last edited:
wideband

I'm using the Bosch Wideband sensor (Bosch 17025). I once got 80 hours out of one. It seems that it takes only one time to forget to lean for a long taxi and the sensor gets fouled. It teaches good ground leaning discipline :)

One of them lasted less than 5 hours. I went out to calibrate my AoA and kept it rich for all the power changes. After that flight the sensor was completely gone.

When it works it's awesome though. No need to fiddle with EGTs and I can go LOP quickly without spending too much time in the red box chasing peaks.

I'll try the heatsink with the next one. Thanks for the link Brian.

Lenny

I did some research on O2 sensors a few years ago for my Lancair with MGL iEFIS's. I was going to use the Bosch sensor since it seemed to have the best lead tolerance. I went to car racing sites to gather info since they all use leaded fuel. Of course the life of the sensor is very short, some of these guys get one race per sensor but they said adding the stand off / heat sink made them last longer. It puts the tip out of the exhaust flow and further away from the lead.

The racing forums are pretty unanimous in naming NTK Wideband O2 sensors as being fairly lead tolerant.

Back