What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon AutoPilot

n38139

Well Known Member
I am not Dynon guy so this maybe a dumb question.

Does the HS 34 and AP 74 AutoPilot require an EFIS to work or is it a stand alone type thing?

thanks

I am not Dynon guy so this maybe a dumb question.

Does the HS 34 and AP 74 AutoPilot require an EFIS to work or is it a stand alone type thing?

thanks

They are add on modules to the "legacy" Dynon EFIS which is actually the main autopilot controller. (D-10A, D-100, or D-180)

The EFIS + Servos will handle it, but IMHO the HS34 and AP74 make the buttonology much more nicer.

Note: I fly a D-100 with both modules

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I also found out that none of the components will interface with a Skyview system.

Thanks for the info. I also found out that none of the components will interface with a Skyview system.

Correct.

It is my understanding that the controllers simply emulate someone pressing the various buttons to achieve the same results.

Don't get me wrong, they work very well and I was happy to have them on my D100 and to have the expansion modules on the Skyview.

I just purchased a 4 and am already thinking about the panel. I like the stuff Dynon has but have heard the ap servos that are used can still be "felt" when not engaged. Same avionics guy said the Garmin stuff totally decouples and that light input feel is retained. I know nothing about this stuff. Any info?

myhangar, you can feel the Dynon AP servos buzz a bit when moving the controls through a wide range of motion such as during flight control checks, but I've never noticed it in flight. Not an issue IMO.

I have the D100/D120/AP74 setup as well as the dynon servos and can report I don't ever recall thinking I can feel them. I've been extremely pleased with the entire Dynon system. The AP tracks the course and altitude pretty much dead on! I did have an issue once and the problem ended up being the GPS source and not Dynon. I agree with the above post..... not an issue!

I just purchased a 4 and am already thinking about the panel. I like the stuff Dynon has but have heard the ap servos that are used can still be "felt" when not engaged. Same avionics guy said the Garmin stuff totally decouples and that light input feel is retained. I know nothing about this stuff. Any info?

In flight, with the auto pilot disengaged, you can't tell there are servos installed.

Dynon autopilot

I, too, have the dynon autopilot with the D100, D120, and AP74. In flight there is no drag on controls.
RV9A Bill

Back