What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fold-Tite hangar doors

Greg Arehart

Well Known Member
Building a hangar this spring. I've read through the archives on doors. I'm looking for manual operation, so that rules out the hydraulic ones and bifolds. I've also seen in person a number of the Horton Stack door installations, and like them. Another option is the Fold-Tite stacking door, which is similar to Horton but hung rather than rolling on tracks. It is also aluminum, which is lighter weight. I have not seen a Fold-Tite in person so am looking for any feedback on how well they work. In particular:

Do they seal pretty well?
Any issues with the guide rollers protruding from the floor? I know they are potentially removable but would rather not have to remove them unless necessary.
How easy is it to close the door in windy conditions? In particular how easy is it to get the door aligned onto the floor guide rollers as you are closing the door?

Any other comments, please feel free to add or pm/email me.

Thanks,
Greg

Is this a 'write the check' operation, or are you willing to DIY?

I've got a one-piece manual door on the shop side of my hangar. Swings up like a hydraulic, but no mechanicals/hydraulics. The one I've already built is 10' x 30', but I copied the concept I saw on a 48' wide door. I'll probably build my main hangar door the same way. Feel free to call me if you're interested in the idea; I can email you some pics, as well.

Charlie
Slobovia Outernational (MS71)
601-879-9596

edit: If you want a sliding or side-hung door, my neighbor has one (came as a kit) that hangs on overhead tracks. Split is in the middle; each half has 2 panels that hinge outward. If that is more interesting, I'll get the brand info from him for you.

Last edited:
Fold-Tite Experience

I put up one of the Fold-Tite Horizontal Bi-fold doors on my hangar - so I can't speak specifically about their Horizontal Stacker. But I can say that I was very pleased with my dealings with the company and the quality of the design and components. Very nice extruded aluminum structural components which are assembled with Tek screws. The door went together very easily and accurately. i was able to do 95% of the work solo and only needed a helper to stand the door frames up in the opening. I am using their brush seal on the bottom of the door and their standard, garage door style, vinyl seals at the top of the door. Both seem to seal well.

I went with their old Bi-fold design because I was a bit put off by the idea of having all of those rollers sticking out of the floor with the Horizontal Stacker plus the space the stacked up thickness of the open doors would subtract from the door opening width. My door opening width is only about 38' so this was a particular issue for me.

FWIW:

The Horizontal Bi-fold door opens and closes very easily - typically a one handed operation. There are a total of 4 "roll over" strikers plates on the hangar floor to engage the 4 bottom locking pins. I have been very happy with this door - I would make the same choice if I had to do it over again.

The only downside to the Horizontal Bi-fold is that they can be a handful in very windy conditions. They can be handled, but they can get away from you if you aren't paying attention. Also, you have to make provisions for pinning them in the open position so wind doesn't get a hold of them and slam them either open or closed. I suspect the Horizontal Stacker would not have these issues.

pjones

I made my hanger door a bi fold unit , making 4 sections 7'x21' and bolting together, I have no power at my hanger so I have to use a solar unit and a 12 v. winch, has worked flawless for 6 yrs, cost about $2000.

Charlie, Pjones,

Normally I'm a DIY, but in this case I'm a "write a check" guy. I don't particularly want a sliding door, preferring an accordion style for this hangar.

Dan,

Thanks for the info. If they build quality stuff in one application, probably also in another slightly different.

Cheers,
Greg

Use a Boat Lift

I did it myself. Used a boat lift winch system (about $500) one piece door 12x40. Closes tight. I have no seals but they could be added. Most folks can't even see the door from the outside when it's closed. If interested contact me and I will video and post utube. Everything is consealed.

As with any cable lift (except clam type) if not full open to the stops high winds could lift it.

seals

My neighbor has these doors and they don't seal well. If you want to heat your hangar you may not be happy. Other than that, the doors are very economical and built well. Does take some time to assemble.

Doors

I built my hanger in 2000 the Horton Stack door has been no trouble at all
It is 16 high and 53 wide. I would sell it for $6000. Come and get it!
I would like to have a hydraulic door,
817-271-0594
817-439-1220

please call

I did it myself. Used a boat lift winch system (about $500) one piece door 12x40. Closes tight. I have no seals but they could be added. Most folks can't even see the door from the outside when it's closed. If interested contact me and I will video and post utube. Everything is consealed.

As with any cable lift (except clam type) if not full open to the stops high winds could lift it.

I too am interested. would like to talk. Please call Dave at 303-772-two two zero two.

Thanks.

Me too!

Whiskey and Charlie...any chance you guys would each start a thread to show off your DIY doors and setups? I'd ask you to PM, but I'm guessing there's value to the forum for you to share with all?

Thanks!

Scott,

I'll be happy to talk with you, if you like, and I'll send you pics via email if you want.

I no longer link to photos on this forum because they aren't hosted here, & they'll likely be unavailable by the time someone tries to access them at some point in the (likely near) future.

I'll be tied up all day tomorrow, but I could call you tomorrow night or Friday.

PM me your contact info and a good time to call.

Charlie

I had vertical panel doors on upper track with pins in concrete floor holes to hold stable when closes. The doors were inexpensive but labor intensive to assemble and install.

It did not take long to experience trouble opening and closing in any wind. For sure, with hangar door you get what you pay for. After several years switched to hydraulic lift door from Minnesota.

I tried to sell vertical door locally, no takers, then offered to give them away, still no takers. Finally, did ad here and some guy from down south drove up to have free vertical doors for his farm hangar.

Should have taken to local scrap yard, would have gotten a few bucks at least.

Back