What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

sensenich props

bill v

Well Known Member
anyone have experience with both the metal and adjustable props for an o-360 (solid crank) going on a rv-7. I have a rv-4 o-320 with a wood prop but would like to not have to check the bolts or worry about rain. will the metal have more vibration and pull left on takeoff then a wood prop (what I am familiar with) the extra weight should help weight and balance. The adjustable seems to be the best choice for me except for the word adjustable means moving parts and I worry about having another thing to watch were the solid metal is more bolt it on and forget it. that's were my mind is but would like to hear from someone with experience with both

I have the Sensenich ground adjustable on an O-320 RV-6. It is "turbine smooth" but in my experience, both it, and my prior wooden prop pull left harder on takeoff and need more right rudder than metal prop RVs that I've flown... not really a big deal, just something you get used to. You also don't really adjust it often... I found my happy pitch setting and pretty much leave it there.

The metal Sensenich prop for the 360 engine has the benefit of no rpm restriction like the metal prop for the 320 does. The extra weight up front does help the CG a bit, and it costs less than the carbon fiber GA prop, and you can use a standard Vans spinner instead of having to buy a special $600 spinner that the GA prop requires. Metal props do vibrate more than wood or composite.

You might also want to look at the Catto props with metal leading edges, and with a 360 engine, you won't be having as much CG issues as those of us with taildragger 6s and 7s do. And you could always use a heavy thick steel crush plate from Sabre on it if you need more weight on the nose.

Back