Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2016, 05:21 PM

I took the two day light sport engine course at sebring and know them. They suggested that I take off the wings and truck it to them.
I'll see what the boys at EAA have to say Thursday night at builders-night.
Then I'll see if a local A&P has an idea but Sebring might be the only way to proceed.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFromTX View Post
Why would he want an IA? This is apparently registered as Experimental, apparently as ELSA. In searching the files however, it shows no Airworthiness Certificate has ever been issued. Is this normal to not have it showing? Does it have one?
Well Don .....

I know that in IA is not necessary for E/SLSA .... BUT I find it prudent to have a highly capable and qualified individual to check over an airplane in a questionable situation. To me, an A&P with inspection authority would fit the bill regardless of the fact that an experimental does not require it for inspections . I mean an airplane is an airplane, why not have the most qualified look at it.

The bigger picture here is that this owner has gotten some really really bad advice .... In his own words "from two AP men".

RV-12 #328
At 435 Hrs on the Hobbs
Old 03-10-2016, 05:39 AM

I would have to agree with Kyle on this. An A&P / IA would be putting their behind on the line so he/she should be doing a thorough inspection regardless of the type of certificate the plane holds.

RV-12 806
Old 03-10-2016, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielabernath View Post
Its a long story and a lawsuit has been filed. Waiting for a covered hangar to open up at KFMY where we are now.
Someone pushed on the NO PUSH trim tab and snapped off the brass screw coming out of the servo.
That would certainly make me unhappy. Are you suing the FBO, or the airport, or the previous A&P's?
Old 03-10-2016, 08:13 AM

I see your logic, but it has been my experience that the IA type who knows absolutely nothing about EAB or the plane in question - can be working backwards. Stuffed with knowledge about certificated planes, he is usually quite unwilling to learn a new worthless in dollars to him skill. I have actually seen this personally several times when an IA gets to an experimental. Usually a really good IA will not even mess with the EAB crowd.
However, the A&P who does condition inspections on experimental aircraft on a regular basis gains valuable experience at his trade and can be a valuable asset when a problem arises, it is just more in his area of expertise than the IA.
That said, we who have the alphabets after our names are usually quite inferior to the BUILDER guy who actually put one of that type together. My recommendation is always to have someone that has built and flown and does condition inspections on THAT MODEL of plane to look it over for the best inspection. Next up the line would be an EAA Tech Counselor, both of these are also not only the best at doing the job, but are totally free, not someone looking for something to "fix" that produces revenue! For instance, look at the tip Larry gave about the tail end tiedown. He has no alphabets after his name, but a builder that can catch those type things.
Often the old saying "you get what you pay for" fails to be true in situations like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KALEWIS View Post
Well Don .....

I know that in IA is not necessary for E/SLSA .... BUT I find it prudent to have a highly capable and qualified individual to check over an airplane in a questionable situation. To me, an A&P with inspection authority would fit the bill regardless of the fact that an experimental does not require it for inspections . I mean an airplane is an airplane, why not have the most qualified look at it.

The bigger picture here is that this owner has gotten some really really bad advice .... In his own words "from two AP men".
Old 03-10-2016, 03:58 PM

Default SUCCESS!

I followed your advise and tracked down the Prez of the EAA Chapter 66. He's building an RV 10 or something.
I told him the problem and he said, "try this first" and he gave me the strong magnet on a telescoping rod.
By turning the magnet sideways a bit I got it into the oval hole.
I then fished around till I actually felt something. I lifted it up and it kept dropping off the magnet.
So, I used leverage. I extended the pole of the magnet devise to about a foot long and pushed it down and in. It grabbed something. Using the leverage I lifted it up AND SAW THE **** END OF THE CABLE!
I slowly pulled it toward the oval hole.
It was still inside the empennage so grabbed one of the sides with my needle nose pliers and pulled it out!
Then I thought "Now what do I do?"
All my tools etc. were elsewhere as I really didn't think I'd have any success. So I thought about what I could do so as to not have to repeat the whole process and looked down and saw a bit of safety wire.
So I put the safety wire through the end of the cable eye. I got my vice grips and now have fastened that to it too. So, if the SOB is going to try to escape again it will have to drag the vice grips through the oval hole.
Thanks gentlemen for your expertise.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:56 PM

You will still need to take a good look into the tailcone and see what else has "gone wrong". The cable could be twisted and/or looped around another cable or any number of things.
PLEASE don't just hook it up and go!
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 172hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Recipient of Wright Brothers "Master Pilot" Award
Old 03-10-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
You will still need to take a good look into the tailcone and see what else has "gone wrong". The cable could be twisted and/or looped around another cable or any number of things.
PLEASE don't just hook it up and go!
+1 verify
david@rv12pilot.com
2018 VAF Supporter

RV12 #568 EAB
* Started 9/30/2011
* 1st flight 8/30/12

http://www.rv12pilot.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/dvalcik
Old 03-11-2016, 02:05 AM

What about the cable that attaches to the WD-1207 Stabilator Horn? (See P. 32-13 of the KAI.) Had it fallen into the fuselage as well?