VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-08-2015, 05:01 PM

Problem. Pilot can hear transmissions from other aircraft; but, pilot and co-pilot cannot transmit to other aircraft or to each other. When either the pilot or co-pilot push the PTT, on the top of the stick, the red T on the Garmin SL-40 lights up.

Equipment. Have the Dynon Skyview, Flightcom 403, Garmin SL-40; all installed with conversion wiring.

Tests.

The wiring connection to the external antenna was disconnected and inspected. Wiring appeared to be good. Reconnected the wiring to the antenna.

PTT.
Did a continuity test between pin #7 (on the Dsub connector on the back of the Flightcom 403) and ground – when the pilot PTT was pushed there was continuity.

Did a continuity test between pin #6 and ground – when the co-pilot PTT was pushed there was continuity.

The electrical schematic shows I should get continuity as it tested.

Mic Jacks.
Did a continuity test between the shorter tang on the pilot mic jack and pin #2 (on the Dsub connector on the back of the Flightcom 403) – did not get continuity. On pin #3 (co-pilot mic), did get continuity. Per the electrical schematic, I should get continuity on pin #2 (pilot mic).

Did a continuity test between the shorter tang on the co-pilot mic jack and pin #3 (on the Dsub connector on the back of the Flightcom 403) – did not get continuity. On pin #12 (co-pilot headphone), did get continuity. Per the electrical schematic, I should get continuity on pin #3 (co-pilot mic).

So, what should I do from here?
Old 03-08-2015, 06:01 PM

Remove the wires that connect to the wrong pins and rewire according to the schematic. This is how my D-180 system intercom is wired. Yours is likely the same.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:23 PM

I moved pin #3 to pin position #2.

And, moved pin#12 to pin position #3.

And, moved the original pin#2 to pin position #12.

Both the pilot and co-pilot can now receive and transmit.

But, the pilot and co-pilot can not talk with each other. Yes, the Flightcom 403 is in the ICS position.

How do I go about testing the continuity for the wiring in the intercom? rv2002 gave a good description of how to test the PTT and the mic plugs; but, I can not find a description of how to test the intercom. I have tried matching the wire colors to the schematic, but have had no luck.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:14 PM

Others of us with the conversion harnesses have had difficulty. In my plane the ISOLATE function on the 403 cuts out the pilot, not the co-pilot. But other stuff works more or less OK. There are some volume issues with the Skyview voice alerts. There are a couple of other threads on this.

It is VERY difficult to adjust the pots on the AV5000 once installed - to even know if the screwdriver is engaging. (Yes, I've cut the screwdriver.) I intend to delve back into the wiring in April at the annual. I think it may be necessary to unscrew the AV5000 and lift it a bit to get eyeballs on the pot screws.

I am also considering totally taking the AV5000 out of the audio intercom equation entirely - simply pulling all the audio wires going into it and wiring the headsets, radio and Skyview audio directly to the intercom. I got the first AV5000 delivered. I don't fully trust it because when I added the Dynon ADSB box, it was not plug-and-play. The 4 wires needed by the ADSB box are power, ground, and a serial pair. The power and ground worked, but the serial wires did NOT make their way from the ADSB DB connector on the AV5000 to any of the serial pins on the 37-pin Skyview connector. I had to take them directly into the 37 pin connector.

There are also issues with the 403 intercom/ conversion harnesses combination with mixing stereo and mono headsets. The QT Halos I got work great in other planes but not (YET) in my RV12 - (no audio and occasional horribly loud squeals). All of which I hope to address in April...

It has been a bit frustrating... but all works well with my existing mono headsets as long as I don't use the ISOLATE. Oh, I've never used the music input at all, will probably disconnect it too.

So - keep working and document what you find! Thanks!

Bill - March 2015.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:16 AM

I am sure that you have already adjusted the Flightcom 403.squelch and volume. There are also some dip switch settings. What about the headsets? Are they the same brand? Are they both mono or both stereo? They should both be the same.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:01 PM

When I moved the wiring, so the pilot and co-pilot can both transmit and receive transmissions, I was able to move the Flightcom 403 squelch and volume to the recommended 3 and 11 o’clock positions without getting a high pitched squeal.

Have not looked at the dip switch settings on the AV50000A.

Tried all different combinations of headsets (stereo stereo, mono stereo, mono mono, and different brands) – thanks to some friends. Did not change anything. Plan on using two Lightspeed Zulu headsets.

Looked at the Flightcom 403 Dsub pilot and co-pilot headphone wiring schematic (there are four wires) until my head hurt. Would like to find a way to check the continuity on these wires; but, I am mystified on how to connect the multimeter from the Dsub wires to ???? so I can get the intercom working.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:07 PM

When I mentioned DIP switches, I was talking about those inside of the Flightcom. But chances are that those switches are not causing the problem. It will not hurt to check them though. Default is all 4 switches shut off.
Have you measured the voltage between Flightcom pins 1 & 20?
Have you tried turning the Flightcom squelch fully counter-clockwise and the Flightcom volume fully clockwise? Are the headset mics close enough to kiss?
I could be wrong, but it seems to me that if both the pilot and copilot can transmit and receive on the com radio, then the aircraft is wired correctly and there is no need to check continuity. Call Flightcom 800-432-4342 or 503-684-8229 and ask their advice.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:20 AM

If you do not hear the squelch break as the the intercom squelch knob is turned, then I think the problem is inside of the Flightcom 403.

Continuity check:
Flightcom D-Sub Pin 1 - - - - - - - Sleeve of Pilot Headphone Jack
Flightcom D-Sub Pin 14 - - - - - - Ring of Pilot Headphone Jack
Flightcom D-Sub Pin 13 - - - - - - Tip of Pilot Headphone Jack

Flightcom D-Sub Pin 1 - - - - - - - Sleeve of Copilot Headphone Jack
Flightcom D-Sub Pin 12 - - - - - - Ring of Copilot Headphone Jack
Flightcom D-Sub Pin 11 - - - - - - Tip of Copilot Headphone Jack

The easy way to check continuity of a headphone jack is to insert a 1/4" plug into the jack and then connect ohmmeter to the plug terminals.
HEADPHNE JACK DRAWING
Old 11-02-2015, 12:48 PM

Bill, check your PM. Scott