What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-623L&R, DWG 22

wirejock

Well Known Member
Question.
Notice the part in the photo. F-623L. The small line is minimum edge distance. The longer line is 5/16". The rivet hole would fall between the two if the part is placed against the F-705 bulkhead and not trimmed per detail.
Also notice the plans detail. I think the correct thing to do is to trim the flanges per detail but I'm curious what other have done. It seems odd the part has a joggle so it will fit but plans show it trimmed. I suspect this is a carry over from the RV6 since it has a "6" part number and the plans were revised for the RV7 using the same part.. It would be pretty tricky to set rivets in the space between the two flanges. Maybe that's why it was revised. I'm tired of making scrap metal.
Your thoughts and experiences are appreciated.

2i0t6xf.jpg

Last edited:
Another issue I had with the F-623 was that the attach straps called out on DWG 22 that tie the forward and aft ends of the F-623 to the F-705 and F-706 bulkheads did not work for me as fabricated per plans, due to edge distance issues. Here are the shapes I ended up with:

F-623A-FWD attach strap:
FP10122013A0001M.jpg

F-623A-AFT attach strap:
FP10122013A0001U.jpg

Great minds

That's funny Miles.
Mine are very similar. I didn't like the Vans attach straps either.

Back