What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Priming SkyBolt Attach Brackets

drone_pilot

Well Known Member
I am laying out the Skybolt attach brackets around the firewall. I am almost ready to rivet them in place. As I lookup others images on Google, it looks like a lot of folks install the brackets without primer. Being under the cowling, is it a bad idea to prime these due to the heat/oil/solvents? I think they look good as shiney aluminum but I do know they will dull over time. What would the voice of experience say to this question? Prime them or not?

Either way should be fine. They won't likely corrode much because of oil that will end up getting on them, but they might look nicer painted.

I primed mine... that being said... go lightly on the prime... because my painter painted them so you would not see any primer between the cowling and firewall if there was a gap but he painted them a little heavy causing the cowling to be raised up.

After sanding them down again. we just kissed the retainers with primer and paint.

Jack

Back