What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Beringer Finishing Kit

JRichichi

Well Known Member
I recently purchased the Beringer Main Wheel Finishing Kit from ACS. It took a while for it to get here but I've got it now. I have a few questions that other folks probably have the answers to.

1) Are their any "RV specific" instructions out there? I've downloaded the "Maintenance Manual" and other manuals (banjo fittings, changing tires, bleeding, etc.) from the Beringer website. However, no RV specific instructions.

2) Is there a "packing list" for the RV Finishing kit? I just got the parts and nothing else. I haven't started to assemble everything but I don't know if all the parts are here or not.

You would think that for $2200 you might get a couple of pieces of paper explaining what you purchased and how to assemble it. But then again you'd think you'd keep the hair on your head until the day you died. Neither one has happened for me... :(

Assuming that there aren't any instructions from Beringer on how to do this, does anyone have a website showing/explaining how they installed their Beringer main wheels and brakes?

Thanks again!

Jeff

I'm in the same boat. Received the kit with no instructions or parts list. But it is a very nice setup.

One confusing thing is that I measured all the hose fittings and most are AN (37 degrees). However, 2 that look like straight bulkhead fittings are Automotive (45 degrees). Not sure what these are even used for.

There are some RV specific instructions. However, I couldn't find them on their site just now, so here's a link to my copy. Even they are a little sparse. They don't describe locations to mount the parking brake valve or fluid reservoirs, so I'm thinking of continuing to use the Vans reservoir since I already had it mounted.

Good luck!
Russ

Last edited:
Thanks Russ! This is exactly what I'm looking for. BTW, where did you get these instructions from?

Yes, I agree, it's a nice setup. I'm surprised that instructions aren't included in the kit. I should be installing the wheel/brake combo on my gear legs in the next few days. I have a few other items I want to get out of the way first.

Thanks again!

Jeff

You're welcome Jeff!

I forget where I found the instructions. From a link in a post here on VAF though. Very strange that Beringer doesn't have it easily found on their website. Also, I note that they don't even list Vans as one of the experimental kits they support. :(

Just the wheels and calipers

Hi Russ,

I only purchased the wheels, calipers and rotors. I decided to go with the Matco master cylinders and do the return spring modification so I don't have the bulkhead fittings that are 45?.

After doing the Matco return spring modification I was wondering why everyone did it that way. Another possible modification would be to replace the internal spring with another spring with a higher spring rate. The internal spring used in the MCMC-4F(XX) master cylinders are an Associated Spring C0480-055-3000M. This is a music wire spring with a 0.480? OD, 0.055? wire diameter, a 3.00? Overall Length and a 12 lbf/in spring rate. Other possible springs are shown below.

C0480-059-3000M 14 lbf/in
C0480-063-3000M 18 lbf/in
C0480-067-3000M 23 lbf/in
C0480-072-3000M 32 lbf/in
C0480-074-3000M 36 lbf/in

Although Associated Spring doesn't seem to sell their springs in low quantities, there are several other companies that sell essentially the same thing and you can buy them in small quantities.

Thanks again for all the help.

Jeff

Changing brake pads

Does anyone know if you can change the brake pads on Beringer wheels without removing the wheel? Looking at pictures it appears that the bolts must be removed on the wheel side of the caliper.

Thanks,

I'm in the same boat. Bought my kit just before OSH15 and finally got around to installing brakes. Not sure where to mount anything :)

Should I use the brake line bracket on the firewall? If so, which fittings should I use? It seems the PTFE ones shipped from beringer are AN3, while all the Van's ones are AN4.

Also, should I skip the aluminum brake tubing entirely? Seems like there is enough PTFE to do that... would be nice...

Thanks Grayforge. Was looking at your build log and it has already helped immensely, thanks!

I haven't run my brake lines yet so I'll just stick to using the PTFE ones like you did and use the parking brake as the firewall mid spot.

Back