What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Quickbuild time vs RV-14

MSA123

I'm New Here
I've read a lot about the 14 being a faster and easier build than the 7, which of course makes sense.

My question is, how does the build time/ease of a Quickbuild 7 compare to that of a Standard build 14?

Assume the 7 would have a plug-and-play panel installed.

Not sure about the 14 guys----since the finish kit hasnt been released yet, but I know of a RV7 builder ( not me:D) that is doing a standard build. From start to fuse finish in about 4 weeks. Thats from drilling the first hole, debur, dimple PAINT. He's doing wiring and plumbing and will probably be ready to attach the wings this weekend.
He's a multi-time experimental builder--and right now can put in the 8 hour days all at once to complete this.

As for the 14 guys, I know that Tim Olsen is pretty quick and is waiting on his finish kit. He was a beta tester for us on the brake hose package as well as the fuel lines. I think he has his panel close to being done, and has his engine sitting. Maybe Tim could chime in here to let us know some details.
I'll bet its all about organization.
Tom

Not sure about the 14 guys----since the finish kit hasnt been released yet, but I know of a RV7 builder ( not me:D) that is doing a standard build. From start to fuse finish in about 4 weeks. Thats from drilling the first hole, debur, dimple PAINT. He's doing wiring and plumbing and will probably be ready to attach the wings this weekend.
He's a multi-time experimental builder--and right now can put in the 8 hour days all at once to complete this.

As for the 14 guys, I know that Tim Olsen is pretty quick and is waiting on his finish kit. He was a beta tester for us on the brake hose package as well as the fuel lines. I think he has his panel close to being done, and has his engine sitting. Maybe Tim could chime in here to let us know some details.
I'll bet its all about organization.
Tom

Does he have help? Even working 24 hours straight for 4 weeks is only ~675 hours. I have no doubt that guys can complete stuff much faster than average but 4 weeks from empennage to fuse finish seems quite quick...

Does he have help? Even working 24 hours straight for 4 weeks is only ~675 hours. I have no doubt that guys can complete stuff much faster than average but 4 weeks from empennage to fuse finish seems quite quick...

A long time ago, an RV-6 (no pre-punch, etc.) was build start-to-finish, including IFR instruments and paint, in 127 days. It can be done, but probably not by me :)

A long time ago, an RV-6 (no pre-punch, etc.) was build start-to-finish, including IFR instruments and paint, in 127 days. It can be done, but probably not by me :)

That's impressive. I wish I had that kind of time available to focus on my project!

I've read a lot about the 14 being a faster and easier build than the 7, which of course makes sense.

My question is, how does the build time/ease of a Quickbuild 7 compare to that of a Standard build 14.

In my opinion the QB7 would win hands down. The QB wings can be ready to go in 3 days to a week if you have it planned and know what you are doing.

A set of slow build wings will take you 3-400 hours minimum by the time you drill, dimple, prime and rivet. The tanks particularly take a while.

The Fuse is going to take another 3-400 hours. To put that in perspective, it took me and another experienced builder around 5 X 8 hours sessions just to rivet a 7 fuse to QB stage. We were not taking it slowly either.

At this point I think a lot of this is hype, there is nothing really magical in the 14 kit that is going to save you a lot of time (on the airframe). The canopy may prove easier to install. Most of the other benefits such as wiring looms are yet to materialise. They will definitely make a big difference, but if you buy a QB panel on the 7 there probably is not much difference.

Unless you have done it before, head scratching is a big part of any build. The second one will be faster, but even for the experienced builder there is a limit to how fast you can go without cutting corners or the quality of the work suffering.

So the QB7 gives you 6-800 hours head start. Depending on how much time you have per week, how much will that save you?

That's not even considering that Vans has not released all the kits for the 14 yet and you don't know how much it will really all cost.

For what it is worth my first kit was a slowbuild, my latest RV10 project is also a slowbuild. I just don't see the airframe as being that hard to build. I'd rather spend the money on some toys to go in it.

He did have EXPERIENCED help getting the fuselage initially cleco'd together in one day. After that, he said his wife helped with all the riveting. He is also an A&P with lots of experience.

He picked up the kit from another who picked it up from another who... (he's the 3rd or 4th owner).

It's nice having three RV-7's going together in a relatively close proximity and we help each other all the time. Tom does all the line work, I have apparently been crowned the wiring/avionics guy and several other folks with lots more experience are around for the occasional (every few minutes) question about what to do with this or that.

From first hand RV7
Slow build wings, quick build fuselage doing all the wiring, Just the engine being assembled and the paint had help.

2 years 9 mos 28 days... I worked it almost like a job... Occasionally I get a friend from Church teach them how to rivit with a flush head and help with the wings.. On days available 14 tp 16 hous a day.. Told my wife forget about the grass and everything else... We'd plow the grass and plant a new yard in a couple years.... 😃 We live in the country. No close neighbors.

Moved the car, tractor and truck out of the 3 bay garage... Used one bay as a paint booth...

I have heard of several being build in a year...
Jack

Back