What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spray gun leaking

Mark Jackson

Patron
I am having a problem with my spray gun. When I put in the paint, it starts dribbling out the main air nozzle on the front. I can stop this by tightening the paint adjustment nozzle but that basically prevents any paint from coming out. There aren't any seals missing or anything. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Thanks

Mark Jackson

Paint gun

I would remove the needle and spray tip to check for any build up that may need to be removed, if that's not the problem then you can stretch the spring a bit so it has more closing pressure.

Ed

Paint gun leak

I would pull the needle and make sure it and the barrel it travels in are totally clean. Whilst it is apart, clean everything really well. Is your tip seating properly? Even slight build up can prevent the needle from seating even though the trigger is released. We have been in the middle of a job when this suddenly starts happening.....the paint softens leftovers in the tubing and starts the problem. Cleanliness rules paint guns!

Spray Gun Leaking

What appeared to be clean from the outside was a disaster when disassembled. Lesson learned. There was a build-up of primer in the barrel and two of six nozzles where clogged from the back. Two hours with dental picks in the 105 Houston heat and it is good as new.

Naked Gun

Like you, I used to be quite lackadaisical about cleaning my spray gun until a hangar neighbor showed me how to get better results. First of all, clean the gun after every use. Lacquer thinner works well but in your case with all of the hardened paint, you need to get some "Naked Gun" spray gun cleaner. Take the gun totally apart and soak it in the solvent. It's quite caustic so use thick gloves, not the latex or nitrile ones. It eats right through them. My friend also loads up on chopsticks when he eats Chinese. Sharpens them in a pencil sharpener and uses them as a pick that won't damage precise components of the spray gun. My DeVilbiss gun came with a cleaning kit with various picks and brushes to use on all of the different orifices. I have found it doesn't pay to clean up all of the rest of the mess and ignore the gun.

Naked Gun is available at just about any store that sells spray gun equipment.
Home Depot and Lowes don't.

My favorite personal gun is on a pressure pot and ten feet of hoses. every time it gets used it gets cleaned. Believe me when I tell you I think twice before deciding I need to use it. Clean, clean, clean. It's the only way you're going to take advantage of that nice clean area you've made to spray in. Nothings worse than spraying along making a nice coat and having a booger of paint from you're last spray job come flying out of the gun onto you're nice new wet finish.

Back