What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airbox Mounting Plate Replacement extra holes

647jc

Well Known Member
Two years ago while I was looking for something to do I decided to work on the airbox even though I didn?t have an engine yet. As it turned out I drilled the airbox mount plate for nutplate rivets which was a mistake. I didn?t realize that until now that my engine is hung and I started working on the airbox again. Not wanting to mess up an otherwise ?Perfect? airplane ;) I ordered a replacement plate from Vans. The replacement plate I received is identical to the original plate, same cutouts and holes other than an additional 5 extra holes (AN3 size) around the carburetor throat area (actually about 1? from the throat). My old airbox instructions make no mention of these 5 holes and I?m not sure what I?m supposed to do with them. I suspect this replacement mount plate is a newer perhaps more universal plate, I really don?t know. My engine is a vanilla 0320 with a Precision carb and the extra 5 holes in the mount plate don?t appear to be relevant to anything I have. The new mountplate DOES have the 4 holes my original plate had that line up with my Precision carb. I was wondering if anybody that had a newer airbox kit that included this newer style mount plate would also have newer instructions that explained what the 5 holes were for and what to do with them? If they are supposed to be plugged for some installations do they recommend a way to plug them?

Plate

Joe,
I received a new FAB kit from Van's a few weeks ago. The aluminum plate is marked with a sticker and barcode. The part number is VA-130-C-1. I am installing a standard O320D1A with new/reman. Precision carb. There aren't any extra holes on my mounting plate. Only the three big cut-outs, four carb attach holes and the six perimeter holes around the edge. I would call Van's. They will make it right.

I may have ordered the wrong part, darn

Brian,

Thanks for the information. My original part was also a VA-130-C-1 however when I ordered the replacement, the only close number I could find on Vans 'the list' was VA-130-C (no -1), they also listed a VA-130-CF for Ellison carb and a VA-130-D for who knows what. Anyway I ordered the VA-130-C part and that's what I got, probably should have talked to Vans first to see if that was the part I should order. I'll email them and see what the deal is, hate to eat the part since it was $18.63. Thanks again for checking your kit.

An extra HOLE?

explained what the 5 holes were for and what to do with them? If they are supposed to be plugged for some installations do they recommend a way to plug them?
I should not guess but it could be a mistake! I recall the extra hole issue. Van just said ignore it. How big are the holes, bolt hole sizes right?

The way to plug a hole is lightly countersink both sides of the hole and drive a soft rivet. Than use a rivet shaver (which you probably don't have) to make double flush. You can carefully file, grind, dremel tool the rivet flush. If you can stand a button head on one side, than leave the button. Do not countersink for a full countersink rivet, just an aggressive chamfer, enough to hold the rivet in. If the hole dia is too large and the material is too thin than a plug might be marginal or will not stay in.

That carb airbox plate is a fatigue factory. The engine vibrates and the snorkel part of the airbox, that mates with the cowl via a seal, can really work the metal plate where it mounts on the carb. I highly recommend a little strut from the engine to the fwd part of the air-box. Other wise its all cantilevered out there.

By all means deburr, smooth and chamfer all metal edges of the air-box. It's not a matter of if you'll have a small crack, it's a matter of when. If you do it right you might not see a crack for +1000 hours. If its not right, you'll see a crack in a 100 or 400 hours.

Last edited:
I emailed Vans and they confirmed the part I needed was VA-130-C-1 and not VA-130-C. They said the VA-130-C-1 was a newer part and not in the online parts list however they would be adding it in the next couple days. So, I will return the VA-130-C and order a VA-130-C-1 which should not have the extra 4 holes. Thanks everyone for the input.

Back