What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhaust port cover plates

JKevin

Well Known Member
Hi all,

About to put an engine (Lycoming O-320) into semi-long term storage with no exhaust system attached. Does anyone know a source / part number for plates to bolt to exhaust ports to cover them? I used to have some but can't find them and don't know where I got them.

Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

About to put an engine (Lycoming O-320) into semi-long term storage with no exhaust system attached. Does anyone know a source / part number for plates to bolt to exhaust ports to cover them? I used to have some but can't find them and don't know where I got them.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/lycomingexhaustpipe_07-17420.php

07-17420f.jpg

07-17420b.jpg

Last edited:
Or use an exhaust gasket as a template to mark the shape and hole locations on some lexan or plexiglass. Cut to shape, drill carefully, and you have covers. Then get some gasket material from your local auto parts store and do the same thing.

I removed this same setup from our engine after 10 years of being mounted on the aircraft filled to the gills with Aeroshell preservative oil. Works like a charm, but getting the engine FILLED takes patience. Remember you can use the crankcase vent hole as a "high point" through which to help fill the top end of the engine.

Back