What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skirt for Todd's canopy

Don Patrick

Well Known Member
I have nothing but issues with the skirt for my canopy.

Who has made their own skirt and thrown away the van's one. I know the shape is different, but i tried to modify the vans skirt for this, and even had help with it.

Looking at just making a new one from scratch.

Who has done it? I am not very good with the glass, so any hints and help would be appreciated.

Ive read Dan's (and others) posts about glass work.

This part of the build has completely stalled me.

Thanks

Don

Last edited:
Been there!

I cut few couple of vertical slits in the problem areas. Then once I'd coaxed the skirt into the correct shape I added a couple of layers of glass over the slits to keep the shape until I could add material to the back. It really didn't take that long. I ended up with a very tight fit while sitting on the ground, but still saw 1/4 inch blowout at fast cruise speeds. So much for a leak free skirt!

I had to hack up the back of mine. Todds are a different shape back there.
img_0070_zps4c61qpu5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_0073_zpssovadb0v.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Todds canopy, Vans skirts and Sikaflex. Came out very nice. Didn't fight it at all.

I have nothing but issues with the skirt for my canopy.

Who has made their own skirt and thrown away the van's one. I know the shape is different, but i tried to modify the vans skirt for this, and even had help with it.

Looking at just making a new one from scratch.

Who has done it? I am not very good with the glass, so any hints and help would be appreciated.

Ive read Dan's (and others) posts about glass work.

This part of the build has completely stalled me.

Thanks

Don

I have Todd canopy and like others, had to cut aft part of skirt and re-glass to get to fit reasonably well.

If this is first fiber glass work, get West slow epoxy system and RAF bi-directional glass from ACS. That weave shapes nicely to contours.

Cover fuselage area with some plastic material or duct tape to protect it and have at it. Use just enough epoxy to wet glass. Minor lumps and bumps can be filled before paint.

I agree, the canopy is one bear of a job with any Vans airplane. Its a bigger bear with the Todd canopy. It is much bigger bear yet to redo entire skirt.

I considered it but modified aft end of Vans skirt instead.

Skirt blow out in cruise

...I ended up with a very tight fit while sitting on the ground, but still saw 1/4 inch blowout at fast cruise speeds. So much for a leak free skirt!

Do you think a layer of carbon fiber would have helped to stiffen the blow out area up enough to keep it in place?

Doug

What David and others said.

I too have a Todd's canopy and used Sikaflex to bond the canopy to the frame. The aft end of the skirt took some surgery to get a good fit.

I recall getting a tip from someone about having to raise the the skirt, higher than expected, to get a good fit. In the end, mine came out well.

Rather than using carbon fiber I bonded an aluminum plate on the centerline on the aft end to both help with the fitting process and to add strength.

Yes, its frustrating. Keep at it and you will find the right geometry

Back