What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

High oil temps / valve adjustment

rv6n6r

Well Known Member
Patron
Yesterday taxiing out I got a high oil pressure reading (100+psi) at ~1300RPM. I pulled the valve and checked the ball and spring to make sure something wasn't was stuck, then backed off the adjustment a turn or so. I think it's OK now but my question is, what's to stop the thing from rotating other than thread friction and spring tension? It seems like vibration might be enough to get it to rotate on its own (esp. over 1200hrs or so on this airframe/engine). The adjustment rod isn't safetied, should that be done somehow?

This is a LYC O-360 A1A normally aspirated with a screw-adjustable relief valve.

I suggest you keep looking for the root cause of the high pressure. it seems quite unlikely that after 1200 hours your hold down screw would make a full turn tighter against the spring overnight. If vibration were the culprit, I would expect it to back out, not in, resulting in a lower pressure.

It sounds more like a failing sensor. They tend to fail high.

Larry

Last edited:
What Larry said. Vibration would make it back out, not compress the spring some more. By doing your own back out, youve masked the problem, IMHO.

Check your sender

Yesterday taxiing out I got a high oil pressure reading (100+psi) at ~1300RPM.

A bad sensor ground or a failing pressure sensor can cause this type of pressure reading. I replaced my sender and this problem(intermittent for me) went away.

Good luck!

Back