Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-12-2019, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarsey View Post

I was thinking of putting in some mat material (e.g. like this) along the firewall at least.. but honestly, with the huge canopy, I'm unsure how much noise comes in from the firewall vs. the canopy. May not be worth it.

I am just beginning my fuselage kit and ask myself the same question. Should I care about a "heat and noise protection mat" at the firewall?
D-MDRV RV-12 #121128 enpenage kit
Donation made til August2109
WTB HomebuiltHelp DVD's for RV-12
Old 09-12-2019, 07:43 AM

Default sound proofing

I bought but have not installed insulation on my RV 12, I do not believe its needed. The Rotax dosent appear to put out sound levels to make it worth time and effort. I have 55 hrs on the RV 12. I did install sound and temp insulation on my RV 7 which helped mitigate the Lycoming IO 390 s growling! Good Luck Major
Old 09-12-2019, 07:55 AM

A good headset weighs a LOT less than extra sound deadening insulation that won't help at all in flight.

The Rotax itself doesn't seem really noisy, but the prop and wind noise are. Doesn't matter what's making the noise, it's pretty loud in the cockpit when you're flying. A decent headset will take care of that. Mine weighs almost nothing. Even out passenger headset (Bose A20) probably weighs less than a pound.

Omaha, NE
RV-12 # 222 N980KM "Screamin' Canary" (bought flying)
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
Old 09-12-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
... it's pretty loud in the cockpit when you're flying. A decent headset will take care of that.
A good headset will take care of what you are hearing, but what about all that noise that you are broadcasting when you key the mic? Have you listened to your audio on LiveATC? You might be surprised at how noisy it is.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopercod View Post
A good headset will take care of what you are hearing, but what about all that noise that you are broadcasting when you key the mic? Have you listened to your audio on LiveATC? You might be surprised at how noisy it is.
I have, actually, and it sounds fine. Mine, a couple of other RV-12s, etc. Noise cancelling microphones work pretty well. It's not like the RV-12 is noisier than, say, an RV-7, or most other airplanes for that matter.

Omaha, NE
RV-12 # 222 N980KM "Screamin' Canary" (bought flying)
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
Old 09-12-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scard View Post
The -12 isn't a particularly loud cockpit, but the good old DC10-13.4 may certainly be lacking, unless you've already lost most of your hearing . I would obviously suggest fixing the noise issue at the headset side as opposed to adding to airframe weight. My 2c will also say that ANR is not required.
+1

I would take my time and try out a few headsets to see what one I liked. Until you arrive at whatever final solution you decide on, just wear earplugs under the DC10ís and turn the volume up on the radio/intercom. In the stone-age I used to wear earplugs under my helmet in a very loud helo. Blissfully quiet and nearly free.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
I have, actually, and it sounds fine.
You did good. The only reason I brought up transmitted noise was because I never thought of it myself until ATC couldn't understand me. Well, my Lycoming is no-doubt noisier than your Rotax. Oh, I forgot to mention the one thing that made the biggest difference: Putting "down turns" on my exhaust stacks. Originally, the two stacks exited the lower cowling right under my feet. They were really loud. I added those down turns and it made a world of difference. They kept the belly cleaner, too!