Bi-annual financial contributor

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." Teddy Roosevelt
Old 09-10-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentlik View Post
Excellent as usual Jereme!
Where do you source your Jetflex?

I just received more wire supplies...not sure what to do with it...haha
I got my Jetflex through Skygeek. You will also need reducer and catalyst. It is definitely not cheap stuff. I would be very tempted to just use the water based stuff Jeflex sells next time. I wonder how it holds up in the long run compared to the solvent based stuff I used.
Wings done
Fuselage done
Finish kit almost done
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 09-10-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
I got my Jetflex through Skygeek. You will also need reducer and catalyst. It is definitely not cheap stuff. I would be very tempted to just use the water based stuff Jeflex sells next time. I wonder how it holds up in the long run compared to the solvent based stuff I used.
My experience has been if it can't kill you, it doesn't work as well...
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3

Old 09-10-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
My experience has been if it can't kill you, it doesn't work as well...
Haha that is my thought as well and ultimately why I went with the solvent based stuff.
Wings done
Fuselage done
Finish kit almost done
Old 09-25-2019, 09:04 PM

Well it's been a couple weeks but not due to a lack of work. I have been hard at it with wiring and panel work while I still wait for my engine mount. I would have REALLY liked to save this panel work for the winter as it would be perfect inside stuff. It just didn't pan out that way though.

Anywaaays...

I decided to use some coated aluminum called Durablack to make all of my panel labels. This worked spectacularly! The Durablack meets a milspec and has some impressive environment testing on it. I bought some Durablack in 0.020" and 0.005". The 0.020" for a sheet of 12" x 20" was about 35 bucks from johnsonplastics, it also has a very nice adhesive backing (although you can get it without if you want). This size sheet was more than enough. The 0.005" was a little harder to work with, didn't shear as well and honestly really, really thin. The thin stuff would be great if you wanted to curve a label; however, everything on the panel is flat so 0.020" it was. This was also a great opportunity to teach my new classes this year how to use our laser engraver. Those of you that use a laser engraver know what a reaaaal treat it is getting the power and speed settings just right for a new material is. It took us quite some time but in the end we got something that worked awesome.

The Durablack material is quite unique in the sense that it is not anodized aluminum in the traditional sense. When you laser engrave anodized aluminum you are left with bare aluminum underneath that doesn't contrast as good as some other colors. The Durablack once engraved actually turns a rather bright white that contrasts nicely. Here is a closeup of a couple labels. There was also the added bonus of engraving center marks for the center punch so you could drill em out!

20190916_175224 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

I also got my switches TEMPORARILY installed. lol Yes I will make the hex nuts in the front all even. These are all Honeywell TL series switches. You can tell they are high quality stuff with a good switch feel to them.

20190925_191909 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Here is the panel in the aircraft before the switches were put in. Dang it sure is starting to look good!

20190922_172126 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

I also installed a couple of electrical trays behind the panel. Fuse blocks and various electronics such as my EMS will go here for easy access.

20190922_172106 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

I am also starting to get the classic airplane spaghetti going on. haha Good thing I have all them wires nicely labeled.

20190922_172140 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Let me know what you all think and if anyone has any questions on that material I used for labeling just let me know.
Wings done
Fuselage done
Finish kit almost done
Old 09-26-2019, 11:04 AM

Default Laser engraver specs

Jereme, what wattage does the engraver have that you're using on this material? Do you have a model number of the one you're using?
Thanks
Wb
RV-7

VA-165 '90-'93
Old 09-26-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcalvert View Post
Jereme, what wattage does the engraver have that you're using on this material? Do you have a model number of the one you're using?
Thanks
Wb
I am using a Muse laser from Full Spectrum Laser. It is a 45W machine but I don't know how accurate that number really is as I had to go with quite a bit more power than what Durablacks starting point document recommended. The document is in the link below. I am using 80% power and 70% speed. However, I would be willing to bet my mirrors are a bit on the dirty side and need cleaned. Hope this helps.

https://dura.black/wp-content/themes...cess-guide.pdf
Wings done
Fuselage done
Finish kit almost done
Old 09-26-2019, 11:52 PM

Thanks for the link, good info!
RV-7

VA-165 '90-'93
Old 09-27-2019, 09:01 AM

I think it is great! but how do you know where all those wires go? Furthermore, how did you come to a final plan?

We can chat this weekend if you have time Jereme.
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3

Old 09-27-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
I think it is great! but how do you know where all those wires go? Furthermore, how did you come to a final plan?

We can chat this weekend if you have time Jereme.
Yep this weekend sounds good Kent.

Long story short a wire only has two ends on it thank goodness lol!

Reading the manuals enough will eventually get you to the point where you know where things are supposed to go. It just takes time that's for sure. First I decided where all the electronics/avionics are going to live. After that and some more planning I started running wire runs. This is where the manuals come in, they pretty much all have wiring diagrams that you can follow. Some people I have found will go to GREAT lengths and make a wiring diagram for everything. I don't feel like I really know every in and out at this point to do this first. Therefore, I am running wires where they need to be and will then make a diagram of where they went. Also, while running the wires I put heat shrink labels on both ends of the wires. This is definitely one of those parts of the build where if you analyze it to death first you will never get anywhere (at least that is how I felt). Just start running wires and it all comes together. There will be mistakes but they are easy to fix for the most part. Mistakes usually seem to be in the form of forgetting to run a wire which is no big deal to fix.
Wings done
Fuselage done
Finish kit almost done