VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-27-2019, 12:34 PM

Bill, how much pitch change is there if you have to go around with that much trim?
RV-4 Plans only S/N 2938
Cessna 152
Elk Grove, CA
VAF #744 Exempt but paid in Feb anyway
Old 08-27-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arffguy View Post
Bill, how much pitch change is there if you have to go around with that much trim?
No different than say a 172. You are pushing while you are taking trim out of it.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 09-02-2019, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
I typically enter the pattern at 90kts , base 80 kts, final 70 kts, and touch down around 55 kt. I've seen no benefit in flying a super slow pattern, it runs up more hobbs time and I have a soaked shirt when its 100 degrees outside.
Pretty much exactly how I fly it. My 9 is a little heavier than most at 1200 pounds and that's probably why it warrants a little extra speed. I find any slower than 70 on final and I end up flaring the thing. It does not like to be flared. Just flow it level till the mains tough then set the nose down gently.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:34 AM

85 knots on downwind
Reduce power to idle abeam the threshold, trim for 75
Hold 75 on base
Reduce speed to 65 on final
55 over the fence
Touchdown at 45

Keeps the traffic flow moving

Fly a tight pattern. Generally donít need to touch the throttle after the initial reduction.

0-320
Catto 3 blade fixed pitch
Old 09-15-2019, 03:53 PM

Default Flaps

If everybody responding could please also detail flaps use with speeds in the pattern, that gives a more complete picture. Thanks
2011-2019 VAF contributor
Old 09-15-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcthree View Post
If everybody responding could please also detail flaps use with speeds in the pattern, that gives a more complete picture. Thanks
For sure, landing speeds absent flap settings aren’t all that helpful. Beyond that, and irrespective of flap settings, given differences in instrument, pitot, and static system errors, all these indicated airspeeds reported above are not really transferable from one plane to the next. Even in my own -9, the Dynon indicates one IAS and my steam ASI reads 5 kts less. Much more helpful are IAS speeds as a multiple of Vso. For example, I find that an approach speed of 1.3-1.35 Vso yields very consistent short field landings. For me, that works out to about 52-55 kts solo. However, another plane with a different IAS error could find 52-55kts dangerously slow.

Long and short, the stall speed for any individual plane should be determined first, then approach speeds based off that. All of us reporting the different IASs we use doesn’t tell us too much.

Donation reminder: Jan. 2020

Last edited by alpinelakespilot2000 : 09-15-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTPete83 View Post
Pretty much exactly how I fly it. My 9 is a little heavier than most at 1200 pounds and that's probably why it warrants a little extra speed. I find any slower than 70 on final and I end up flaring the thing. It does not like to be flared. Just flow it level till the mains tough then set the nose down gently.
What is in your -9 to have a such a high EW? Mine is 1068, all up, and that was after I replaced the O-290D2 with an O-360 and added a leather interior. On its first flight, it was only 990 lbs.
SC86 - Easley, SC
Old 09-15-2019, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
What is in your -9 to have a such a high EW? Mine is 1068, all up, and that was after I replaced the O-290D2 with an O-360 and added a leather interior. On its first flight, it was only 990 lbs.
Itís my first RV and it has a lot of options. Tru track, tip tanks, heated leather seats, full leather interior, dual grt setup, io-360 with a 3 blade Catto, I would assume it all adds up. My tip tanks alone added prob 15 pounds but the extra 18 gallons is worth it!
Old 09-17-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote: "There is nothing wrong with flying the entire pattern at 5 knots above stall speed as long as you are not making everyone behind you extend and adjust their pattern....... I sure hope you are flying a tight pattern.[/quote]

I would be leary of flying the whole pattern at 5 knots above stall speed. That brings with it the risk of an accelerated stall in the turns to base and final. I fly the downwind at 1700 RPM, when abeam the numbers I pull to idle while maintaining altitude to slow to Flap Speed. Go to 1200 and fly the remainder trimed for 70 knot base and 60 knot final. Flare to 50 knots for touchdown. I have my idle set below 600 RPM to cut down on float. Practice engine out from various locations in the pattern.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSOliveira View Post
Quote: "There is nothing wrong with flying the entire pattern at 5 knots above stall speed as long as you are not making everyone behind you extend and adjust their pattern....... I sure hope you are flying a tight pattern.
I would be leary of flying the whole pattern at 5 knots above stall speed. That brings with it the risk of an accelerated stall in the turns to base and final. I fly the downwind at 1700 RPM, when abeam the numbers I pull to idle while maintaining altitude to slow to Flap Speed. Go to 1200 and fly the remainder trimed for 70 knot base and 60 knot final. Flare to 50 knots for touchdown. I have my idle set below 600 RPM to cut down on float. Practice engine out from various locations in the pattern.[/quote]

Van's list the stall speed for a -9(A) as 48 to 50 mph. Let's call it 50 mph/42.5 Knots for those who can split a knot.

Typically, it is recommended to approach at 1.3 times the stall speed.

30% above the stall speed is 65mph / 55 knots, which is what I recommend.

Watching my AoA during a slow pattern, doesn't even get close to stall.

The advantage to a constant speed pattern in a slick, high lift airplane like a FP RV-9 is that you aren't chasing the airspeed every time you make a flap and pitch adjustment.

Also, I suspect you are spending less time in the pattern because your pattern, out of necessity, is smaller.

My goal on every landing is to make one power reduction and never touch the throttle again.
SC86 - Easley, SC