- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > The Never Ending Debate Section > Primers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2019, 08:16 AM

Default Surface prep

You didn't mention how the surface was prepped. It has an effect on how well the paint adheres. Try rubbing a big piece of Gorilla tape on the part then rip it off.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/27/2018. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:10 AM

I used EkoPoxy recently for the first time. I prepped the surface using the Stewarts cleaner and etch products, and mixed according to directions. But first, I found that the EkoPoxy itself was a very thick, almost chunky material. Stewart's support said that this is normal for this product, and to use a drill mixer. After mixing the can up with that, it was a thick syrup.

I poured off the desired amount, measuring by weight, and added the hardener and water, in that order, in the specified quantities. The resulting viscosity was fine for the spray gun and tip I was using. I used a Devilbiss FLG 4 gun with a 1.5 mm tip. The gun was what they'd recommended. Later I learned that they also recommend one of the more expensive Tekna guns as well. The Tekna has been recommended before here on VAF for other products.

It sprayed fine, I thought, but the finish was very rough and somewhat uneven. After the requisite time period, per the instructions, I shot a second coat. Same initial roughness but more even. I let it dry and after several hours, the finish became smooth, zero roughness, and even.

Bottom line, all in all, I like the product.

I intend to top coat it with clear gloss EkoCrylic when the temperatures fall into the window again.

Dave
Old 09-03-2019, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucemoose View Post
I'll admit that I never tried it, but in general it is best to stick with Stewart's recommendations.
It should be noted that Stewart's makes no recommendation about the order in which the components are mixed; only that the ratio is 5:1:1. Adding one component at a time enables the user to more thoroughly mix the components. In addition, adding the water first thins the base and enables the catalyst to be mixed more easily.

Ultimately, I'm sure the order in which the components are added doesn't matter or Stewart's would mention it.
Getting Ready to Close Wings
Old 09-03-2019, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflex View Post
It should be noted that Stewart's makes no recommendation about the order in which the components are mixed; only that the ratio is 5:1:1. Adding one component at a time enables the user to more thoroughly mix the components. In addition, adding the water first thins the base and enables the catalyst to be mixed more easily.

Ultimately, I'm sure the order in which the components are added doesn't matter or Stewart's would mention it.
This is incorrect, they specifically state in both the written instructions and in their videos to mix the paint and catalyst prior to thinning.

From the Ecopoly/ Ecocrylic instructions. Emphasis added.

Mixing by Weight:
The paint is mixed 4:1:1 by weight. For example, if you use 100 grams of Part A paint, the amount of catalyst needed is 25 grams (25% of Part A amount). Mix the Part A and catalyst thoroughly. Let sit for 5 minutes. Add 1 part distilled water and mix thoroughly. (same amount of water as catalyst). Let sit for 5 minutes, then it is ready to spray. If desired for your particular spray technique, equipment or environment it is permissible to adjust water amount slightly, but be cautious, a little water goes a long way.
Milwaukee
Old 09-03-2019, 08:37 AM

Jeff,

Your in put is appreciated. However, EcoPoxy and EcoPoly are different products. The original post was regarding EcoPoxy. I've posted the instructions below. The order of mix is not addressed and "slaking" is not required with EcoPoxy. Perhaps the methodology for EcoPoly is different. I've never used EcoPoly so I am unfamiliar with the requirements for its use. The instructions for EcoPoxy can also be found at:

https://stewartsystems.aero/wp-conte...structions.pdf

[IMG] beautiful river poems[/IMG]
Old 09-03-2019, 03:49 PM

You are correct that this discussion is about Ecopoxy and the directions you posted are clear. I wonder if that is an oversight on their part or intentional, since I believe all of their 2-part products use the same catalyst (at least the Ecopoly and Acrylic do) and presumably the same procedures. Have you ever reached out to them to clarify?

I used all of these products (plus the single part primer and Ecofill) while painting my last airplane. In my mind I somehow took the Ecopoly/ acrylic instructions and applied them to Ecopoxy. Sorry for the confusion.
Milwaukee
Old 09-04-2019, 04:29 AM

Jeff,

I spoke to Stewart's at Oshkosh last year regarding the constancy out of the can and my solution of putting a couple of quarts into a gallon bucket. But I didn't ask about the order of mixing.

I was told that if I worked long enough, that the paint would come to the proper consistency and that I could use a mixer on the end of a drill to help. When I stated that the mixer simply balled up the paint like a batch of cookie dough, they said that I could carefully add just a little bit of water.

What surprised me was that when I mentioned mixing the quarts into a gallon can, it was frowned upon. The fear is that I wouldn't get all the contents out of the quart can.

I really like the finished product, but the thickness makes it a challenge to mix without waste. After many "quarts" and many projects over the years, I have never been able get it to spray properly without thinning.