What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

"vertical stabilizer h-frame" jig?

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
I am working my way through the preview plans for the -9. At the beginning of Section 7: Wings, under the section "Getting Ready," the plans say, "modify the vertical stabilizer h-frame into a wing assembly fixture." (p. 7-1, version 3/14/03)

However, I cannot find anywhere in the empennage section (version 2-27-04), and certainly not in the VS section, where they suggest building/using an H-frame fixture. Am I missing something? The only jig I thought was generally used were the cradles.

Are other people using an H-frame jig on any of the emp. components? It seems this would be a good idea, allowing access to both sides, but if so, how are they connected to the jig?

Clarifications or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Maybe it is a sentence from an old manual and was not removed. The old non-matched hole kits had to be built in a jig shaped like an H. I am sure you've seen it. Search some builder sites and I am sure you could find a picture. I have been at this building thing so long that I have three different generations of manuals alone. I'm building a -6 though and not a -9. Maybe I'm missing something there.

I'm at the same point. I'm thinking they mean to alter the HS cradles into wing/tank leading edge cradles.

Steve

Preview Plans

The preview plans don't always match up with the latest info from the real plans. You'll get updated versions of the real plans when you order the pieces parts. The preview plans are good for giving you an overview of the building process, how it's broken up and generally what lies ahead.

Don't take it seriously until you get to the real stuff. Don't get me wrong - there is valubale information in the preview plans that you can't do without (they form the basis of the real or I should say updated plans) however, don't hold everything that you read in the preview plans to be totally accurrate. That's because Van's is continually updating the plans and how things are done. You'll get the latest version when you order the kits.

Originally I believe they had the emp and wings built on an H jig. The middle of the H was where you mounted your spar and the upright portions were make to support the structure. That's changed (at least on my emp). The only jig on the emp, was mentioned previously to hold the leading edge. It's hardly an 'H', more like a fat 'U'. Hey I resemble that remark... My preview plans however had pictures and directions to do the H jig (if I can remember accuratly that far back)...

hs21.jpg

Besides, there is always the eternal debates you go through with yourself about slider/tip-up, tail wheel/nose wheel, pain, avionics, robbing banks and my god what happened to the primer wars (BTW, read the recent thread on that one!)???? :D

Welcome to the club - this is going to be one of the most fun & rewarding projects you've ever done!

Now, do i order two lights or one, put in the auto-pilot servo's now or wait until later, what about an AOA, extended range tanks? [Wings to be orederd soon - OK sometme this year] :cool:

bhassel said:
Besides, there is always the eternal debates you go through with yourself about slider/tip-up, tail wheel/nose wheel, pain, avionics, robbing banks and my god what happened to the primer wars (BTW, read the recent thread on that one!)???? :D

Welcome to the club - this is going to be one of the most fun & rewarding projects you've ever done!

Now, do i order two lights or one, put in the auto-pilot servo's now or wait until later, what about an AOA, extended range tanks? [Wings to be orederd soon - OK sometme this year] :cool:

Thanks for all the quick replies! I kind of figured it was a holdover from earlier plans, but assumed they would have updated even the preview plans by now.

I had to worry about this detail, because I already found THE answer to all those other minor, pesky problems (slider/tip-up, TW/NW, primer, etc.) If anybody wants to know THE correct answer, let me know. Just don't expect the same answer if you ask me twice. : )

Steve
Building class this weekend at SynergyAir in OR, maybe stop by and get a -9 demo and pick up tailkit on the way. Tools to follow once I've gone through the building class.

Back