What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing Lights

Wyzepilot

Just wondering if anyone has installed/used the duckworks led wingtip landing lights and wouldn't mind sharing your experience. I tried to look through the archives but didn't see anything specifically for the wingtip led lights. Thanks!

Dave

Leading edge Leds

I installed the AeroLed landing lights in the leading edge of my RV7 and it worked out well. Easy to install and aim. Have only the original single throw switch so hooked it up as wigwag. Very visible over long distances I am told. At night, there is so much more light than before that landing and taxi is fine with the wigwag. One high and one low because my steering wheel is in back. Happy with the change but still still plan to install a two position switch.

Hi Dave,

I have the Duckworks LED wingtip lights installed in my wingtips.

fPNednpkcMiZt1lVGvkPBxexC-syTyvwbUcvCBWyEoO9yy3ojzsrFo4I4cgHSwKd821bk5sUpkGhd6J1MBoqz07XNVFosl3djONK_vrt8JrjtcdJL7KRiwH-YrHzPSE-sZgJgOBCm9hR-0Wk-4_FTg9ihiymBQrzeNEPL48q0hc8x1osB_zAvI3bkMOgAH1US3VzwO8EWP6crawgCELXAij2j-IGN1EivTGWEgM9RTl4HJeWNg4240NHuP9wAWq_MmpHDQi6DQnQH8b0WXAdpavVyqx4jyhp8xfyPAr7pSTNTMW3JJR4pCwwo3iept4R0_uaGjJ5sZo60_fUVPMNJ0IXAengyxaBMWcGnAGVGKBm2pcbyaRIez_iyYrfqiixzyshsaAmDA6BFDbkryihXs8g046r4xl-O6i0dExCccK3gIpo5ldCwG8ww2K7BARANLwlxI9VMfhuiY8o1zoTrwXkKElqEOSNm7A4XFbF8Sx7hpkv8bzfrA82ZmYV-2WRk5mt53ShZz06gQQRYJgxZ3xigo5O41AfqQaFHiL1itORByxK1MKx1EnLlbeHA3LqhaohB_ZK3CN9_LtCmfV7XbroPJaOpJa20Yrgo24K1-T1v8pn=w915-h686-no

Aeroled write up here http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=142072&highlight=aeroleds

I just had a look at my build-log and it was November 2013 when I installed them.
They are well made and mount easily in the tip.I use them as my Taxi Lights as they are only 1500 Lumens. They are hooked up to my VP-X for Wig -Wag on final.
Three years is a long time in LED technology and I would expect that these should be due for an up-grade LED soon.

I have the Duckworks HID's for my Landing lights and plan to upgrade them to the Baja XL80 (9500 Lumens ) at a later date.

Cheers,

Last edited:
I just wanted to correct this because I see it so often incorrectly said.

It's not Duckworth....it's Duckworks. Kind of like the "Skunkworks", but with a "Duck" instead.

It may make it easier to find info on their systems by knowing this.

Thanks Tim.

You are correct that correct spelling makes such a difference to a search engine.
It's funny how an incorrect name, once repeated many times, becomes fact.
Cheers

Thanks for the responses. I'm just inpatiently waiting for my QB fuse which is scheduled to arrive in December so I decided to work on the wingtips (I'm not going to final fit it until I attach the wings and properly rig the Ailerons). I have the Aero LED's which look great, and the standard VANs wing tip landing lights which got mixed reviews. I'm contemplating swapping the landing lights out for the duckworks led wingtip lights. I'd prefer to make the decision before I cut that section of fiberglass out of the wingtip and fit the vans mounting plate. I'm just not sure if it's worth it. I'm most likely going to go with the aerosport cowl landing light in addition to the wingtip lights. It just sounds like from reading this forum that no matter what you do the wingtip lights are inadaquate. Decisions decisions. By the way Ashley those wingtips look super cool.

Dave

LED landing light

I had HID landing lights but they shattered when taxining over rough dirt taxiway at a campground- basically bouncing caused bulb to break. I looked at options and ended up making a LED landing light. The lumens are about as bright as the HID but I haven't put an optic to channel the 125 degree lights to 60-70 degree, regardless, I used the same wingtip lights and one 3X star @ 350Ma- bulb is a cree XHP35. If I could figure out how to post pictures I would so I'll post an e-mail to RV-10 Matronics list with the full review and pictures.
For $40 it is worth installing. The light is limited somewhat but it covers the complete area forward and to the side of the lights, a really good taxi light without the optics, I landed in pitch darkness at a remote airport and the lights covered the runway just fine for me. One of the folks at the campsite said he could see the lights " way out there"..
Pascal

Back