What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin data confusion

bob888

Well Known Member
Anyone have the various Garmin data packages sorted? I have a G3X touch and GTN 650, need to fly GPS approaches but probably don't need the actual approach plates (Foreflight has those on iPad). I am confused about the Onepak, Pilot pak vs just having legal data. Obviously looking for the most cost effective combination. Advice will be appreciated...

The minimum you need to be legal (given you have the plates on Forelight) is to have the approach database for the 650. This can be obtained from either Garmin or Jepp for about the same price, although with Jepp you will need to call and demand the best price.

Anyone have the various Garmin data packages sorted? I have a G3X touch and GTN 650, need to fly GPS approaches but probably don't need the actual approach plates (Foreflight has those on iPad). I am confused about the Onepak, Pilot pak vs just having legal data. Obviously looking for the most cost effective combination. Advice will be appreciated...

Hello Bob,

Here is a previous posting on this topic.

G3X/G3X Touch with GTN 6XX/7XX Database Pricing

Please let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Bob,

Lots of options that Garmin linked.

It sounds like I have the same panel setup that you do. Dual G3X Touch with a GTN 650.

I pay $150 a year for the G3X Touch data (that includes approach plates and everything I could possibly want) and $290 a year for the GTN650 Nav Data only.

Unless I missed something the packages don't seem to make sense unless you have a handheld device and/or want the full GTN650 package. I find I only ever use the 650 to program my flight plan. I almost never use the map on it since my G3X gets all of the data from the 650 and has the bigger screen with the plates, etc.

-Dan

Like Dan did I also chose the US database bundle for my G3X ($149) and the Nav data for my 400W.
The US database bundle for the G3X updates the internal GPS database (backup GPS) along with Terrain/obstacles and the flight charts. I didn't think I would use any of the these features until I did.....
-I Love the plan View of the terrain especially in unfamiliar territory
-looking at your airplane fly on an approach plate on a screen right next to your PFD and not on your lap is very nice
-backup charts in case your phone or app crashes like it did on my last flight:rolleyes:

Back