What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cutting tunnel cover

Dorfie

Well Known Member
I've been searching (unsuccessfully) to find the thread/discussion and pictures of cutting the tunnel cover near the fuel selector. I believe this is to make removal of cover easier??
I am installing the Aerosport center console.
Hope you can help.
Thanks.
Johan

I did this, take a piece of scrap alum about 3" wide, and as long as it takes to span the width of the tunnel-----maybe 4"?

Drill 6 holes in the piece------four will be for the rivets to hold it to one side of the tunnel cover, the other two will be for screws to attach the cut off piece of the cover.

Mark where you want to cut the cover, and lay the doubler you have just made so it is half forward of the cut line, and half behind. Drill through the four holes you made previously----cleco the doubler in place to keep the alignment correct as you drill.

Remove the doubler, and cut the cover. Dimple one side for rivets, the other for screws. Rivet the doubler to the part of the cover you want to stay on the tunnel, and nutplate the holes in the doubler for the part you plan to remove.

Basically all you are doing is copying what the factory did for the joiner part.

nySLWd-WbSRmwYcxHh45q87czTSVWlzASBONyx9VBMAV1cxN5bd2nMN3awbp6SQzGqVruQMo_4FbWOWUSsnGwcnwoZB8sjquooQm1KFBXJ3-EzN0oUEW3BSzlRYb5fDJG68977RYZmJ0b3cFtWQmPFKkjrieXqlObGNFZywpM25qHYGBsudNIDB63ci4IBgCVeT4f68j1uUPbRzN-Zaq_jxkjhogiEaj8s1599NJI9WXM_tUDcpN4FSqncERo1mlP2nVFWazcLw-Kn5ajvit5CEVJiP331Zt7ScaZTt4Xn-gBNl_vxDPZy1EzU-IROp3KHfH-n8U0_VQEnfa77mUEwdvTp1yD6eEAp4ZT_tJaH80SHw5O__xgyK07ewZdcARrmR9SP4tl7LsiPhigxKNEKtzF1sjEm52ktk0Su25gbusD_Souw-WZGQtavdbL69zpAoPI9GbyQXKfvWaoiSSRegvGRB1lxkq_T7ffsiLI1tSdPQg1ZrP_2zZHejRQR9kg37vggSz3hsGDmOPirR1-JqXZmGQQhkYmEuvSNTNCAkB-3suJUO93V99RT7TM4twKbp0luQGmqtCVZDnw_H5Kb3THBbHijCGpATyTjrttn6feaUb=w1184-h888-no

1Ckj5jOp1vl64GvTlPM_WmXBkbumiz3ETUm4GvwyS4uDWcMuqjuWCuWFhiORCLC8L_HefJgQ1ZTDTxzWZG7-inO5CLwBQubWdRKeCLsBwVdZE0_8NA2cIiYA2WUSljD70mJTpUaJoG9OixGO7nCqxjROunGdf4aqfuVG8JJ4NvNZWr1YKZ_R5FGixyMNWx73_W5BqIw--uK1BD7U4Zo_EbRynTfgJPGCi9UAk9ZEw2ZWi_OPXuxkg-EdmeduPVXq4_YNky3YZfRHZbbOTHjTEVeBf3UOJJYpgiTvoeHxQod3X9fJihHsN6hkpHItyJKWoSxnTtLbmtVH7aVAwKDeXBiwwQm4v_hFkbRUoYlMStPOTbIjfFJQx0-9lC1b5Q0IChkmQBO23wr2HdVdfHZo3Q4QRmp2EU8NRBQnDgW98CdW-jR4PAA26Yi0DARlJKa1gSq7OtFi-35dRIscfhpV9AhfOnmRHQMDCafm05Iqf8I9X_BCDVJxDNOdHGqEqFcfxM25NMaTtL7vx9OdBsVwtD5Yk13R5YagdD8_GhbD7WhlN32sSwNvhWbhwUXK4L3EzvHbR-FGgmcXTabwM1TSFDKbJruRa0DB_TBvpIu9LKr6VUZ4=w1184-h888-no

Last edited:
I've been searching (unsuccessfully) to find the thread/discussion and pictures of cutting the tunnel cover near the fuel selector. I believe this is to make removal of cover easier??
I am installing the Aerosport center console.
Hope you can help.
Thanks.
Johan

With the Aerosport Products console, there are a several things you want to take into consideration. The reason you want to split the tunnel cover is that taking the lower console out and whatever you install into it is a real PITA. Splitting it allows you to remove the cover aft of the lower console for inspections.

You also probably want to put an access panel on the side of the tunnel. There is a company that sells these, but they are also not hard to make either. I put one in the passenger foot well on the side of the tunnel. This makes taking the filter out to inspect the screen pretty easy and you don't have to take the lower console apart. I know that some people also put one on the pilot side as well. I don't think it's necessary to have two, but the choice is yours.

The reason that I have an opening where the valve is located on the tunnel is so that the valve mounts cleaning to the carbon fiber arm rest.
Just out this posts:

http://mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=rleffler&project=260&category=4234&log=95897&row=107

FP16112010A000PN.jpg

http://mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=rleffler&project=260&category=4234&log=95836&row=108

FP16112010A000PK.jpg

I also split the cover aft of the panel. However, I still need to take the seats out to get the cover off. Which, to be honest, is a real PITA :mad:

Mike - I see in your pictures that you have the seats in whilst working on the tunnel. Is there some secret I don't know about? :confused:

In addition to splitting the cover in front of the Aerosport center section, you also want to make for access to check your fuel filter and access to your pump etc. without having to remove the seats or any of the top pieces. Here is what I did.

7JpUrCOxeU5xMv7WY757RVZAXCj6PHpPQ4wv5oTCJZGZakQyvAQRcCmgvK7VsgZhHAr-Z0WLjpcemQ=w1920-h1080-no

I cut my cover in two places to allow the Aerosport armrest to remain in place and still remove the remainder of the cover. The armrest has both the front and rear seat headset jacks.

I would add one more cut about 6" back from the firewall. The most forward two screws are a SOB to get in and out and there is nothing to maintain up there.

Each cut used a simple splice like the one already there and screws added near the end of each section. If doing it again, I would strongly consider adding a access plate for the filter.

Mike - I see in your pictures that you have the seats in whilst working on the tunnel. Is there some secret I don't know about? :confused:

There is no secret-----I use a small ratchet screwdriver, it is the top left one in the jumble of tools in the second photo above.

Thanks Mike - I'll do some research. I didn't think anything would fit in the gap. Would certainly save a lot of hassle......

I did this, take a piece of scrap alum about 3" wide, and as long as it takes to span the width of the tunnel-----maybe 4"?

Drill 6 holes in the piece------four will be for the rivets to hold it to one side of the tunnel cover, the other two will be for screws to attach the cut off piece of the cover.

Mark where you want to cut the cover, and lay the doubler you have just made so it is half forward of the cut line, and half behind. Drill through the four holes you made previously----cleco the doubler in place to keep the alignment correct as you drill.

Remove the doubler, and cut the cover. Dimple one side for rivets, the other for screws. Rivet the doubler to the part of the cover you want to stay on the tunnel, and nutplate the holes in the doubler for the part you plan to remove.

Basically all you are doing is copying what the factory did for the joiner part.

nySLWd-WbSRmwYcxHh45q87czTSVWlzASBONyx9VBMAV1cxN5bd2nMN3awbp6SQzGqVruQMo_4FbWOWUSsnGwcnwoZB8sjquooQm1KFBXJ3-EzN0oUEW3BSzlRYb5fDJG68977RYZmJ0b3cFtWQmPFKkjrieXqlObGNFZywpM25qHYGBsudNIDB63ci4IBgCVeT4f68j1uUPbRzN-Zaq_jxkjhogiEaj8s1599NJI9WXM_tUDcpN4FSqncERo1mlP2nVFWazcLw-Kn5ajvit5CEVJiP331Zt7ScaZTt4Xn-gBNl_vxDPZy1EzU-IROp3KHfH-n8U0_VQEnfa77mUEwdvTp1yD6eEAp4ZT_tJaH80SHw5O__xgyK07ewZdcARrmR9SP4tl7LsiPhigxKNEKtzF1sjEm52ktk0Su25gbusD_Souw-WZGQtavdbL69zpAoPI9GbyQXKfvWaoiSSRegvGRB1lxkq_T7ffsiLI1tSdPQg1ZrP_2zZHejRQR9kg37vggSz3hsGDmOPirR1-JqXZmGQQhkYmEuvSNTNCAkB-3suJUO93V99RT7TM4twKbp0luQGmqtCVZDnw_H5Kb3THBbHijCGpATyTjrttn6feaUb=w1184-h888-no

1Ckj5jOp1vl64GvTlPM_WmXBkbumiz3ETUm4GvwyS4uDWcMuqjuWCuWFhiORCLC8L_HefJgQ1ZTDTxzWZG7-inO5CLwBQubWdRKeCLsBwVdZE0_8NA2cIiYA2WUSljD70mJTpUaJoG9OixGO7nCqxjROunGdf4aqfuVG8JJ4NvNZWr1YKZ_R5FGixyMNWx73_W5BqIw--uK1BD7U4Zo_EbRynTfgJPGCi9UAk9ZEw2ZWi_OPXuxkg-EdmeduPVXq4_YNky3YZfRHZbbOTHjTEVeBf3UOJJYpgiTvoeHxQod3X9fJihHsN6hkpHItyJKWoSxnTtLbmtVH7aVAwKDeXBiwwQm4v_hFkbRUoYlMStPOTbIjfFJQx0-9lC1b5Q0IChkmQBO23wr2HdVdfHZo3Q4QRmp2EU8NRBQnDgW98CdW-jR4PAA26Yi0DARlJKa1gSq7OtFi-35dRIscfhpV9AhfOnmRHQMDCafm05Iqf8I9X_BCDVJxDNOdHGqEqFcfxM25NMaTtL7vx9OdBsVwtD5Yk13R5YagdD8_GhbD7WhlN32sSwNvhWbhwUXK4L3EzvHbR-FGgmcXTabwM1TSFDKbJruRa0DB_TBvpIu9LKr6VUZ4=w1184-h888-no

Mike,
I think you have the front part of the tunnel cover in three pieces: The most forward not shown in second picture (as Bruce suggested), then one incorporating the fuel selector, then one more that joins the rear cover?? Correct?
I also notice you have some of the plastic lock tie holders on the inside of the side panel. Did you use the sticky as they come (peel-off) or did you use a different glue. They're holding on well?
Thanks.
Johan

In addition to splitting the cover in front of the Aerosport center section, you also want to make for access to check your fuel filter and access to your pump etc. without having to remove the seats or any of the top pieces. Here is what I did.

7JpUrCOxeU5xMv7WY757RVZAXCj6PHpPQ4wv5oTCJZGZakQyvAQRcCmgvK7VsgZhHAr-Z0WLjpcemQ=w1920-h1080-no

Bill,
I've installed the access cover, on the right.
Thanks.
Johan

I cut my cover in two places to allow the Aerosport armrest to remain in place and still remove the remainder of the cover. The armrest has both the front and rear seat headset jacks.

I would add one more cut about 6" back from the firewall. The most forward two screws are a SOB to get in and out and there is nothing to maintain up there.

Each cut used a simple splice like the one already there and screws added near the end of each section. If doing it again, I would strongly consider adding a access plate for the filter.

Bruce,
Cannot quite picture how you leave the armrest in place while removing the tunnel cover? Do you also have the Aerosport lower panel installed? My fuel selector is attached to the low portion of the armrest just aft of where armrest joins the lower console.
Like you, my armrest has the front and rear jacks as well as USB and cig lighter outlet in the rear. Did you run the wires from the front in the space between the Vans tunnel cover and the Aerosport armrest?
Cutting 6 inches back from the front of the cover is a sensible and great idea.
Thanks.
Johan

Dorfie----yes 3 pieces.

The tie wrap bases are doing fine so far---i cleaned the alum with acetone (or MEK?) before installing them, so the adhesive could actually get a grip on the metal.

Back