What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SB 16-03-28 warning

Tassie

For anyone constructing slo-build wings and installing the replacement inner aileron brackets, per SB 16-03-28. There is a potential issue with reduced clearance between the inside edge of the aileron nose and the manufactured heads of the AN470AD4 rivets on the new aileron bracket.

In my case, with partly completed wings, I had already done a trial fit of the left aileron with the original brackets and it swung freely with no problems. After replacing the aileron brackets, per SB 16-03-28, the aileron rubbed against a couple of rivets on the bottom of the new bracket. I contacted Van's who recommended shifting the aileron outboard by adjusting washers/spacers, but in my case there wasn't really enough clearance on the outboard end to satisfactorily do so.

The best solution (apart from keeping the original brackets) is to replace the two lowest AD470AD4-11 rivets on the new bracket with AN426AD4 flush rivets, providing extra clearance for the aileron. I contacted Van's support and they were OK with this change.

It would be a LOT easier to do this change up front when building the brackets in the first place, hence this post.

Write up and pictures can be viewed here

Last edited:
Good to see you are building more consistently again. Bit of a pain to have to re-do those rivets, but a good result.
I have bought a slow build wing kit that does not have the Aileron brackets riveted to the rear spar yet, and have the SB kit to fit. It will be interesting to see if there is an interference issue with the 7.
Cheers,
Joe

Joe

Hi Joe, good to hear from you! I heard on the grapevine you had procured a wing kit, I really must visit your garage one day. Yes, I'm slowly getting there with the wings. The only major assembly I have left to to do is the right flap, so in the next week or two I'll be breaking out that replacement VA-140 you so kindly procured for me!

For the -7 bracket, hopefully the issue I ran into will not be a problem. To avoid the problem I ran into, with any model, I would suggest leaving the new aileron bracket assembly until after you've assembled the ailerons. Prepare the inner aileron bracket parts, cleco them together such that you can simply hang the bracket on to the aileron hinge point, using the proper spacer/washer stack up, and check for the clearance between the base of the bracket and the aileron (allowing for the height of the rivets). If the space looks a bit tight, you might want to consider using flush rivets in the appropriate place(s). Check with Van's of course. It would sure be easier to make the change up front, I really didn't like drilling those -11 rivets out :eek:

Cheers,

A.

Is this an issue primarily for those who have already fit the original brackets and are replacing them, or does it also pertain to us who will be installing the new brackets becore ever having fit the old ones?

New construction

It makes no difference whether the brackets are replaced or installed new. My guess is this could also be an issue on the quick build kits. Here is the relevant image:

Regards,

A.

Hello all,

For those interested, I found the same issue as Adrian: I had installed the new inboard aileron bracket as per instructions, but found that the aileron then doesn't fit with the universal head rivets. I replaced the 470's with 426's as Adrian described.

Joe S
RV-10 finishing wings and waiting on fuse kit.

I ran into the same problem this week with my QB wings with Van's installed new brackets. I found that by slightly shortening the spacer and moving a few washers that I was able to move the ailerons enough to eliminate the interference/rubbing without having to replace the rivets. Suggest anyone with this problem try the changes to the mounting hardware explained and shown in my builders log at http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displ...onal&project=2545&category=0&log=233484&row=1

Back