What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stick throw

jwilbur

Well Known Member
I'm a few months from putting my wings on and think my stick grip is going to hit my throttle control. If so it's going to be a major rework for me so I'd like to figure it out before I move to the airport. Would someone mind measuring the angle the stick moves left/right from center position? Or just measure the height of the stick above the floor and tell me how far it moves left/right from stop to stop.

I've already cut the stick as short as I can for my grips and have no issues with it hitting the panel. The issue is I'm using Stein's panel which is lower than stock. Then I have a smaller panel mounted below that for the throttle and other push/pull control cables.

If it helps the last picture on this page should illustrate. Note the pic was taken before the sticks were cut.
http://airplane.athomeinthewilburness.com/2016/09/07/panel-complete-and-other-stuff/

Thanks,

If you do a search, I think you will find another thread on this subject.

Once you get the control surfaces installed they will limit the stick throw. The Ailerons have limit stops. The elevator should limit the fore and aft throw, but if it does not, you may have to install a limit stop at the HS. One additional thing you can do is to cut the bottom of the stick back approximately 1 inch. All of this can be done once your control surfaces have been installed during final assembly. I also cut the top of the stick down as far as I could to accommodate the grip and to get it into a position that was more comfortable. To do this you need the seats installed..

Here is a thread on the subject http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=142222&highlight=control+stick

Last edited:
If you do a search, I think you will find another thread on this subject.

Once you get the control surfaces installed they will limit the stick throw. The Ailerons have limit stops. The elevator should limit the fore and aft throw, but if it does not, you may have to install a limit stop at the HS. One additional thing you can do is to cut the bottom of the stick back approximately 1 inch. All of this can be done once your control surfaces have been installed during final assembly. I also cut the top of the stick down as far as I could to accommodate the grip and to get it into a position that was more comfortable. To do this you need the seats installed..

Here is a thread on the subject http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=142222&highlight=control+stick

I've read that other thread. My issue is different. I'm not hitting the panel. I've got plenty of clearance there.

I'm hitting the throttle control when deflecting right. When I get my wings on the stops will limit this motion. I'm trying to get an idea about how much. It's going to be a major rework for me if it still interferes. I'd much prefer to do this rework in my garage now. So I'm asking if someone could please make this measurement for me: please measure the height from the floor to the top of your stick and then the distance at that height the stick travels from aileron stop to stop. I can then compute the angle of motion and figure out if and how much I need to rework my lower panel.

Joe

I think you will find that the aileron stops will limit the throw once you have everything connected. The whole point is a bit moot. When I am strapped in, I can't get any full throw except nose down - and I am not particularly large......

But then, the only critical movement is aft elevator which can get close to running out on landing - at least, in my limited experience.

Joe

I think you will find that the aileron stops will limit the throw once you have everything connected. The whole point is a bit moot. When I am strapped in, I can't get any full throw except nose down - and I am not particularly large......

But then, the only critical movement is aft elevator which can get close to running out on landing - at least, in my limited experience.

Thanks Paul. I hadn't considered the fact that my legs might limit the movement before the stick got that far right (I don't have seats installed yet). Sounds like I'm probably going to be OK as is. I appreciate the reply.

Back