What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X and GTX327

Hi smart people,

I'm doing a partial upgrade of the legacy panel in my RV10. I'm installing a G3x Touch, and was wondering if the G3X is able to provide Baro Alt data to my GTX327. I see the IM says to connect a serial port and configure as "REMOTE". Dose this setup include BARO ALT data or do I have to do something else? I also have a GNS430 that nees Baro Alt.

Thanks

Hi smart people,

I'm doing a partial upgrade of the legacy panel in my RV10. I'm installing a G3x Touch, and was wondering if the G3X is able to provide Baro Alt data to my GTX327. I see the IM says to connect a serial port and configure as "REMOTE". Dose this setup include BARO ALT data or do I have to do something else? I also have a GNS430 that nees Baro Alt.

Thanks

Hello MavMitchell,

Yes, the GTX 327 transponder connects directly to the GSU 25 ADAHRS which measures pressure altitude and provides it to the GTX 327. No separate altitude encoder needed.

The GNS 430 will get everything it needs from the EFIS/Airdata ARINC 429 connection you will make to the GAD 29.

Let us know if you have additional questions. You can always contact us directly by phone or email shown below.

Thanks,
Steve

Great thanks Steve, unfortunately the upgrade wont include a GAD29, could I connect a serial port from the GTX327 to the GNS430 and send ALT data that way?

Cheers.

Great thanks Steve, unfortunately the upgrade wont include a GAD29, could I connect a serial port from the GTX327 to the GNS430 and send ALT data that way?

Cheers.

I'll let Steve give you the details but without the GAD29 you won't be able to use the 430 for approaches, which kinda defeats the purpose of having a 430. I would suggest you rethink that strategy.

Thanks Walt, actually its not a WAAS 430, and is already in the panel, so will only be used for VFR. We don't actually need baro smoothing, but I just don't want it complaining about no ALT info.

Cheers.

Last edited:
So I wired the 327 to the GSU25, as per the IM, configured the G3X to GTX327. On the 327 I Configured the 232 port 1 in as Remote, and the 232 Port 1 out as Icarus Alt. The 327 shows the correct Pressure Alt, but the Icarus ALT data is just "ALT -2500".

I assume this is the error value for Icarus ALT, and this config is not supported on the 327. It wont retransmit the PA from the data in the REMOTE format.

Interestingly the 327 shows the correct PA with no Transponder configured in the G3X.

Any suggestions..

So I wired the 327 to the GSU25, as per the IM, configured the G3X to GTX327. On the 327 I Configured the 232 port 1 in as Remote, and the 232 Port 1 out as Icarus Alt. The 327 shows the correct Pressure Alt, but the Icarus ALT data is just "ALT -2500".

I assume this is the error value for Icarus ALT, and this config is not supported on the 327. It wont retransmit the PA from the data in the REMOTE format.

Interestingly the 327 shows the correct PA with no Transponder configured in the G3X.

Any suggestions..
Did you ever get this figured out? I have the same issue.

Back