What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil filter question

Charles in SC

Well Known Member
While trying to hook up the lines to my oil cooler I gave up and decided to pull the oil filter off so I would have more working room. Great but when I tried to unscrew it it would not budge. Yes I took the safety wire off. It is so tight that I destroyed an oil filter wrench trying to get it off. This is a factory new engine. I am no stranger to stuck filters after having owned heavy equipment and big trucks for years. I just wondered if there were any tips to know before I put the big cheater on it.
Thanks

Tap a flat head screw driver through the side of it, then you'll have a built in handle and plenty of leverage to get it off. I know most people don't, but this is why I'm a big fan of torqueing the filter on to the proper TQ spec.

It is likely the seal that is stuck. Some use engine oil to lubricate it prior to installation. DC4 works better or the new Tempest filters that have lube impregnated into the seal.

I have a large pair of channel lock pliers as my cheater :D

While trying to hook up the lines to my oil cooler I gave up and decided to pull the oil filter off so I would have more working room. Great but when I tried to unscrew it it would not budge. Yes I took the safety wire off. It is so tight that I destroyed an oil filter wrench trying to get it off. This is a factory new engine. I am no stranger to stuck filters after having owned heavy equipment and big trucks for years. I just wondered if there were any tips to know before I put the big cheater on it.
Thanks

I just removed my original filter and it was gawd-awful tight. I used a 1"box end wrench and it came off. Driving a screw driver through it will just shear the can, and not generate more torque than a wrench. Be sure to use a new gasket when you reassemble.

Now I have to make an offset wrench to torque with more confidence.

When I have this type of problem I usually have best luck with a strap wrench. These get a grip on a large portion of the filter housing.

When I have this type of problem I usually have best luck with a strap wrench. These get a grip on a large portion of the filter housing.
Me too. I didn't even notice the filter had a hex nut on it! :D

This is what I use for any oil filter I install or remove, on any vehicle.
291472-zoom.jpg

Thanks for the help everyone, I got the filter off. Now the next question. Is the threaded nipple supposed to stay in the engine? Mine came off with the filter.
Thanks!

Thanks for the help everyone, I got the filter off. Now the next question. Is the threaded nipple supposed to stay in the engine? Mine came off with the filter.
Thanks!

You didn't tell us the type of filter but if it is the common 48110 the nipple is part of the filter.

Thanks, I found that too. I guess it kind of scared me when I saw the nipple. I had not run into this in my past experience.

Back