What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Toga switch button?

tomhanaway

Well Known Member
Garmin gtn650 and the gea24 each require a momentary ground to activate the TOGA system.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a double pole (both poles normally open) push button momentary switch.
I realize I can do this with a momentary toggle switch but I'd like to find a small push button if I could.

Thanks,
Tom H

Garmin gtn650 and the gea24 each require a momentary ground to activate the TOGA system.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a double pole (both poles normally open) push button momentary switch.
I realize I can do this with a momentary toggle switch but I'd like to find a small push button if I could.

Thanks,
Tom H

Single pole works if you gang them together.

Ok. Great.

I guess I was concerned that somehow the pin from the gtn650 and the pin from the gea24 being in direct contact with one another would create some sort of input to one another. But, if each unit is passively waiting for a ground to activate, that would work.

Thanks,
Ton H

Tom, I found one on ebay. I got two of them and co-located a comm swap adjacent to the TO/GA on the panel.

It works really nice hitting the TO/GA and then switching frequency to departure.

:). CJ

Hello Tom,

During testing we determined that there is the potential for the discrete input pin of the GTN to affect the GEA 24, or vice versa, in the case where one device is powered off. Therefore, it's for this specific reason that we specify a DPST switch in the installation manual instead of providing a recommendation to connect the two discrete inputs together. My suggestion is to follow the installation manual guidance.

One such switch that should do the job is the APEM 4743 series, available for about $5 from Mouser Electronics.

- Matt

Solution for Infinity Stick Grip

I'm putting the TO/GA switch on my Infinity stick grip. Unfortunately, they don't offer a DPST switch. I have a normally open momentary push button I would like to use for my TO/GA switch.

In order to get a DPST function I am thinking about wiring a relay to this switch, but I'm not sure that's the right solution. I found several 12V DPST relays for sale, but I'm not really sure what the difference is between them all.

Will something like this work for my needs: http://www.aircraftextras.com/RelayBoard1.htm

Can anyone give me some help with this? Am I on the right track, or way off?

Thanks!
Rob

Last edited:
Also interested in an answer

Rob,
Did you ever get a response to this question. I too am looking at putting the TO/GA on the infinity stick - much like you :D
So I am interested in the answer you received, if you got one. Otherwise, consider this a bump/request for an answer to Rob's question.

I see where Stein sells a DPST - Momentary - but that would be a panel mount option.

https://www.steinair.com/product/push-button-switch-dpdt-momentary/

a relay would work just fine. the only thing to worry about is that current to close the relay can be handled by the switch in the grip.

You can just use 2 diodes. Tie the two cathodes together and connect the cathodes through the switch to ground. Each anode then goes to one of the inputs. They will independently be normally pulled up unless the switch is connected to ground. The two inputs will be isolated from each other with the reversed biased diode. Schottky diodes may be needed to get the lowest low state voltage. I?m not sure of the exact thresholds. You can look in the equipment manual. It?s a Better solution than using a mechanical relay that may wear out.

I talked about it at length with the Garmin rep at OSH. He said that since both inputs are just ground, that I could combine them into a SPST switch without impacting either component. I haven't designed the solution yet, but I'll probably just use a single relay.

Thanks for reminding me that I have one more job to do! ;)

I?d go with the diode solution over relays. Suspect relay closure very noisy and would potentially create spikes on opening and closing. How much and whether it would cause a problem for the inputs on the avionics input is pure speculation. Pulling a diode to ground would be much cleaner electrically with faster transition time, etc. That said the fact you can simple connect those inputs to a mechanical switch per the manufacturers recommendations suggests the inputs are pretty robust intolerance of a momentary amount of noise on the input line. They are, as previously suggested, just detecting a threshold change. Normal ope state is ?pulled up? to some voltage level (5 volts?) and when pulled low to ground the internal logic circuitry detects this change of state when the input goes below a certain threshold voltage (what level is truly ground anyway?).

The diodes provide isolation of one input from another so that if one piece of avionics is powered down it won?t have a chance to affect the other box which, the Garmin rep alludes was possible as found during their internal testing. Easy to whip up a temporary circuit with a push button switch, two diodes, and some alligator clips. Connect the boxes and test the function. Diodes could likely be easily installed inline in the permanent wiring to the switch in question soldered in place and covered with shrink wrap for protection and mechanical stabilization.

Solid state diode good. Mechanical relay bad.

My two cents worth what you paid for it.

Thanks Richard. I'll chat with you to get some specifics on what diodes to use and have you review my soon-to-be drafted schematic if you don't mind.

Hello,

We also agree that you can use diodes for input isolation in combination with a SPST button in lieu of using a DPST button.

ACtC-3ea1Jy1jjekCxuhdkzyaq6HhMXMaksqvbrWlYibB95aCoCDOp7JxdhEa5GQlUuCBFo2rt8mMhGPd0ZSI_6y_8sDAr9ERAe7LVznfdOljd7U22ADCVs2IYxL9rAJnEci490vOJ6YgwNo7jinxqkyheIR=w640

To test your diode isolation, place your GTN (for example) on the discrete input test page and turn off your GEA 24 (for example). If doing so does not toggle the Go Around discrete on the GTN, your isolation is good.

You can repeat the test by powering off the GTN while viewing the AFCS TO/GA discrete input on the GEA 24.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Back