What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin Virb Camera in 14

bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
Hey guys,

I have a Virb camera that I want to mount facing forward on the roll bar. The canopy handle is a problem.

Any clever mounting ideas out there for the 14?

After a VAF report about the suction cup resulting in a deformed canopy on warm days, I have struck that option off my list.

I used the suction cup hanging from the top of the canopy with my VIRB

Do you leave it in place or install it/remove it every time? I'm asking because it seems (with no experience at all) that the changing of temps would have it come loose frequently. I don't want to damage the camera or scratch any interior finishes ... I don't plan on moving it often (if ever) and I know if I don't have to fuss with mounting it every flight I'll use it more often.

I have used it exactly once so I'm not a good data point yet. I do plan to take it off each time though. I didn't explore many other mounting options as this was just a quick solution that seemed to work.

Greetings.

I mounted dual USB power socket adjacent to my canopy handle. I created a mount for the socket out of some 1/8" aluminum and some angle. It is attached with nylon hardware through the tooling hole on the C-01405-R Aft Canopy Frame.

Using a suction mount, I can mount a GoPro Hero 6 and a fan to keep it cool. Both are plugged in to my dual USB power socket. The suction mount has been in place for more than a year, has not fallen off once, baked in the sun and no canopy deformation is visible. A twin camera mount lets me have either two cameras (like the GoPro Hero 6 and full 360 video GoPro Fusion) or a camera and the fan. I keep all cameras encased in a white latex cover to help reflect the light from our dear sun.

Here's a closer pic of the backside when I used a different source of power prior to the socket shown above. It shows the audio cable which carries audio from the GMA-245 intercom (I prefer the direct connection rather than via Bluetooth) and the twisted pair that carriers power to the dual USB socket.

The view covers exactly what I want it to.

Day time:

Night time:

When canopy is up:

Last edited:
Back